Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP tower desktop Compaq dc7800
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wanted to upgrade my stock processor in my of dc7800 but I have ran into a problem which states

"1801-Microcode Update Error

Missing or Invalid Processor Microcode Update, Please Contact HP Company for a new Microcode Update to support the  new Processor Stepping."

Here are my specs

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz

Mainboard Name: 0AA8h  

Socket LGA775

New Processor

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8500 (6M Cache, 3.16 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB) CPU LGA 775

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is all the info you need to update the microcode for your dc7800.

I zipped up and attached the utility to make a bootable flash drive below, the DOS command files you will need, as well as the dc7800 microcode update files.

You make the bootable flash drive first by running sp27608.

After the utility has formatted the drive and made it bootable, copy the DOS system files to the flash drive, then copy the dc7800 Microcode update flash files to the flash drive.

Copy just the files in the folders, not the folders.

Restart the PC with the flash drive plugged in, and the PC should boot to the usb flash drive.

The PC should arrive at a command prompt.

At the command prompt, type Flashbin.exe and hit the enter key.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the microcode.

After the microcode has been updated, the error should be gone.

View solution in original post

52 REPLIES 52
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is all the info you need to update the microcode for your dc7800.

I zipped up and attached the utility to make a bootable flash drive below, the DOS command files you will need, as well as the dc7800 microcode update files.

You make the bootable flash drive first by running sp27608.

After the utility has formatted the drive and made it bootable, copy the DOS system files to the flash drive, then copy the dc7800 Microcode update flash files to the flash drive.

Copy just the files in the folders, not the folders.

Restart the PC with the flash drive plugged in, and the PC should boot to the usb flash drive.

The PC should arrive at a command prompt.

At the command prompt, type Flashbin.exe and hit the enter key.

Follow the on screen instructions to update the microcode.

After the microcode has been updated, the error should be gone.

HP Recommended

I have follow the instructions you gave me and bios version has been updated although the error still remins and when i booted from flash drive i have only update the bios there was no clear mention of micro code update.

---UPDATE---

It seems the when I have flash the bios with old processor and when i changed to new one it did work but when i flashed the bios with new processor in it seems to work fine but now i cannot go pass the windows 10 boot screen although the new processor shows in system information via bios.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Try resetting the cmos.

You may also have to reinstall W10 if you can't get it to work.

I never had a problem restarting the OS when I updated the microcode on my dc7800.

HP Recommended

Sorry about my wording it was indeed microcode which got updated and it all fine the new processor shows in the bios but i cant boot into windows now and im stuck at loading screen do you think it might the processor and should i try take it out and putting it back again?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I would greatly appreciate if you can give me some pointers on how to reset the comos that be great.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Sure.

Shut down the PC.

Unplug the power cord and everything connected to the PC.   Mouse, keyboard, monitor...everything.

Press the power button to drain any residual power from the motherboard.

Open the case.

Near the coin cell battery there is a little yellow cmos reset button.

Press and hold that button for about 20 seconds.

Put everything back together.

Hopefully that will fix it.

If not try reinstalling W10.

The processor change may have messed up something in the windows registry.

If you have a W10 installation disk, you can try the repair options before reinstalling windows.

I don't think it is the processor.  If the microcode update error is gone and the PC acts normally until it goes to boot windows, then I think it is a windows problem.

HP Recommended

Resetted the cmos and rentered the time and date but problem is there ill do my best to fix this and let you know how it goes. 

Thanks for all the help you given me.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Yes, it sounds like you have not fared too well!

Unfortunately, I have no idea what the problem could be.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, it gets stuck on windows boot screen and the screen only shows the windows 10 logo. It does not show the spinning cycle which indicates the window 10 in loading. Also, I cannot install new operating system neither from USB or CD nor I can repair windows 10.

Window I try to install window 7 just before I can see GUI the pc goes into blue screen and presents this message “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL”. I have tired unplugging the graphics card and others connected devices but it had no effect but when I put back the old processor windows 10 works as normal without any problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.