Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 690-0039
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I just got this new HP Pavilion 690-0039 (P/N: 3LB28AA#ABL) and got an I/O device error when I tried to initialize a new/secondary hard drive.

This PC comes with:

- 256GB SSD at disk 1

- 1TB at disk 0

- SATA interface on the board

- SATA 15-pin power cable for secondary HDD

- Mounting slot on the metal bracket inside the PC labeled as second 3.5" drive

I installed a new WD6003FZBX (Western Digital 3.5" Black series internal drive) at the secondary HDD slot. Disk Management shows this new drive at disk 2 as uninitialized and unallocated. When I right click and initialize it with the default GPT type on the subsequent pop-up window, it takes a while and returns an I/O device error message.

I believe the cables and the hard drive were OK after doing different combinations of swapping the slots, using working cable, one drive at a time, etc... I also exchanged the hard drive for the same type as well as a different type/series at the local computer store. I got the same I/O device error message for both drives. At this point, I believe it is not the drive but something else.

If anyone who has run into this similar situation or knows how to resolve it, please share your knowledge. I would very much appreciate it. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

You may have done this, but did you try connecting the new HDD to the SATA port (and current HP SATA cable) used by the factory 1 TB HDD (Disk0)?

I would contact HP Support (Link) about this if a known good and brand new HDD cannot initialize when the BIOS sees the HDD and Windows detects the offline storage device in Disk Management.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hello Grzwacz,

Thanks for your reply.

As part of troubleshooting, I did disconnect the 1TB drive and connect the new drive using the same 1TB's SATA cable (I refer to it as 'working/known-good' cable) so the new drive was the only drive (in addition to the SSD) in the system. I did various combinations (one drive config, 2 drive config, switching SATA slots, cables) and also tried with two other brand new drives (I played around with 3 new drives in total, lucky the store let me exchange couple times). The 1TB drive works perfectly in the other SATA interface. So it cannot be the drive, the cable, nor the SATA interface. The software driver has the latest version installed by Windows. When you click on the drive Properties, it says the device working normally.

Interesting enough, I cannot find a single contact phone number on HP website so I can talk with HP support. I will use the link you provided as see if it would lead to anything. Thanks for sharing the info, very much appreciated.   

HP Recommended

Hi TC6674,

You're very welcome.

You have done all you can do with the new HDD.

I have no idea why Windows cannot use the new HDD.

The new HDD should just work.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

I don't know.

Maybe run a disk check on the OS drive in File Explorer.

Run HP System and Component Diagnostics at boot.

Your PC should accept a new HDD. 

Something is not right.

Regards

HP Recommended

Grzwacz,

The link you provided got me to HP Support chat and I managed to chat with one of their tech people.

We went through a chat with his remote access to my PC. He basically repeated what I did using disk management utility. The same error displayed. He then asked to change the Secure Boot Configuration under Security tab in the HP Setup Utility (to get there, restart PC and hit F10 a few times) to Enable Legacy Support and Disable Secure Boot (opposite of the default settings). He expected this change to work but it did not.

In short, he pretty much gave up and did not resolve my issue. He asked me to contact their paid support service and cut me off instead, saying his group does not have the expertise to help me add a new drive to their PC. This puzzles me because this is a new HP PC and it cannot handle a new hard drive addition from a well recognized drive brand WD. This should be a simple and straightforward task, my expectation anyway. BTW, I also contacted WD support after the first attempt and they thought it was their drive fault and asked me to return it and get a new one.

The sad thing is this PC is supposed to replace my 10+years old dying HP PC. I added a second drive in this old PC a few years ago without any glitch. I plan/need to move all data from it to this new PC and it requires more than 1TB. Therefore, I really want to add this second drive and get it working somehow. At this point I am still looking for help...

HP Recommended

Hi TC6674,

Disabling Secure boot and enabling Legacy support should not be the cause of your problem.

Your first post stated you just got this new HP PC. You should be able to install an additional HDD in this system.

Why would you need paid support if your PC is under warranty?

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi,

Have notified moderators of this problem.

Can't guarantee results.

Regards

HP Recommended

@TC6674

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.