Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Desktop M01-F1xxx, AMD Ryzen 7 4700G
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I just bough a new HP desktop computer, but don't know if it is available for me to install GPU later?

It is my computer configuration

- HP Desktop M01-F1xxx, AMD Ryzen 7 4700G with Radeon graphics

- RAM 32Gb

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @chuongusc!  Thank you for the additional information.

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  However, I am not certain which HP power supply units (PSU) will be compatible with your motherboard (Erica5).

Here is a Power Supply Cross Reference Chart: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

It lists some of the M01 models and motherboards, but not the Erica5.  It is my understanding that all of the M01 series have the same power connectors.  If so, you can use any of the PSU's that are listed with the Erica motherboard.

Now, to answer your original question.  The motherboard has a PCI Express x16 (Gen. 3) slot.  The GTX 1600 series cards seem to be what HP is installing in their computers with the Erica motherboard.  The reason for all of the information about the PSU is, you will have to upgrade it from the 180W that comes with the computer to at least a 400W or 500W.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to explain what to consider when upgrading the video card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

The three main things to consider are: 1) the length of the card.  The article explains how to measure the space where the card will be installed to allow space for good airflow. 2) the wattage required to run it properly and 3) does the card require any 1x6-pin, 1x8-pin or both PCIe power connectors.

I know this is a lot of information, but I wanted you to know what all is involved with adding a video card to your computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@chuongusc , welcome to the Community.

What is the Product Number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. You can find the Product Number at the bottom of the page when you open HP Support Assistant.  Once I have this information I will try to help you further.

HP Recommended

Hi Old_geekster, thanks for your reply.

I just checked. The product number is HP Desktop M01-F1024.

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @chuongusc!  Thank you for the additional information.

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  However, I am not certain which HP power supply units (PSU) will be compatible with your motherboard (Erica5).

Here is a Power Supply Cross Reference Chart: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

It lists some of the M01 models and motherboards, but not the Erica5.  It is my understanding that all of the M01 series have the same power connectors.  If so, you can use any of the PSU's that are listed with the Erica motherboard.

Now, to answer your original question.  The motherboard has a PCI Express x16 (Gen. 3) slot.  The GTX 1600 series cards seem to be what HP is installing in their computers with the Erica motherboard.  The reason for all of the information about the PSU is, you will have to upgrade it from the 180W that comes with the computer to at least a 400W or 500W.  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to explain what to consider when upgrading the video card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

The three main things to consider are: 1) the length of the card.  The article explains how to measure the space where the card will be installed to allow space for good airflow. 2) the wattage required to run it properly and 3) does the card require any 1x6-pin, 1x8-pin or both PCIe power connectors.

I know this is a lot of information, but I wanted you to know what all is involved with adding a video card to your computer.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.