Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-1020
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

Over the past few weeks, I've been contemplating an overall upgrade for my PC (HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-1020).

I'm considering purchasing a second 8GB RAM stick and upgrading the graphics card, with a preference for the RTX 4060 Ti, although I'm aware it might be somewhat of an over-ambitious choice if that's the right word.

However, I'm uncertain about how everything would align in terms of compatibility.

Firstly, I've heard that having two identical RAM sticks can be more beneficial than having two different ones due to potential speed advantages or something like that. I'm unsure about the specific RAM to purchase to match the one already in one of my two slots from when I initially acquired the PC.

Secondly, I'm unsure if my PC is compatible with the RTX 4060 Ti concerning size, power consumption, and maybe even software I guess. I'm basically almost certain that I'll need a new PSU for the 4060, but I'm unsure if it will fit and if the 500W HP PSU I found online is the right one.

In essence, I'm seeking general guidance on my specific situation.

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Patrik12 , welcome to the Community.

@Patrik12 wrote:

Hi,

Over the past few weeks, I've been contemplating an overall upgrade for my PC (HP Pavilion Gaming - TG01-1020).

I'm considering purchasing a second 8GB RAM stick and upgrading the graphics card, with a preference for the RTX 4060 Ti, although I'm aware it might be somewhat of an over-ambitious choice if that's the right word.

However, I'm uncertain about how everything would align in terms of compatibility.

Firstly, I've heard that having two identical RAM sticks can be more beneficial than having two different ones due to potential speed advantages or something like that. I'm unsure about the specific RAM to purchase to match the one already in one of my two slots from when I initially acquired the PC.  The reason you should use matching pairs of memory is the motherboard has Dual channel memory architecture.  Using matching pairs is the only way to get the best performance.  Normally, it requires replacing the existing memory and installing new matched pairs.  It is almost impossible to match the existing memory.

Secondly, I'm unsure if my PC is compatible with the RTX 4060 Ti concerning size, power consumption, and maybe even software I guess. I'm basically almost certain that I'll need a new PSU for the 4060, but I'm unsure if it will fit and if the 500W HP PSU I found online is the right one.  The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  HP has a 500W PSU (L05757-800) that is compatible with your motherboard.  However, that will not be powerful enough to run the RTX 4060 Ti properly.  It requires 550W w/1x8-pin supplemental power connector.

Please click the "Yes" button if my reply was helpful and "Accept as Solution" if your problem is Solved!!

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Patrik12 , welcome to the Community.

@Patrik12 wrote:

Hi,

Firstly, I've heard that having two identical RAM sticks can be more beneficial than having two different ones due to potential speed advantages or something like that. I'm unsure about the specific RAM to purchase to match the one already in one of my two slots from when I initially acquired the PC.  The reason you should use matching pairs of memory is the motherboard has Dual channel memory architecture.  Using matching pairs is the only way to get the best performance.  Normally, it requires replacing the existing memory and installing new matched pairs.  It is almost impossible to match the existing memory.

Secondly, I'm unsure if my PC is compatible with the RTX 4060 Ti concerning size, power consumption, and maybe even software I guess. I'm basically almost certain that I'll need a new PSU for the 4060, but I'm unsure if it will fit and if the 500W HP PSU I found online is the right one.  The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary. It has a 4-pin power connector instead of a standard 24-pin ATX power connector. You will have to buy any PSU upgrade from HP.  HP has a 500W PSU (L05757-800) that is compatible with your motherboard.  However, that will not be powerful enough to run the RTX 4060 Ti properly.  It requires 550W w/1x8-pin supplemental power connector.

Please click the "Yes" button if my reply was helpful and "Accept as Solution" if your problem is Solved!!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

After considering your input, I've realized I could maybe do something similar to what this guy demonstrates? Im not sure: 

https://youtu.be/fO_JK7Jrmk0?si=gIOUG_soWSblmsa7

Also, from my understanding, the same graphics card can have varying shapes and sizes due to different manufacturers. I hope to find one that won't require bending my case, a risk I'd rather avoid.

Regarding RAM, should I purchase two brand-new sticks then if I want dual channel?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Patrik12!

@Patrik12 wrote:

Thanks for your response.

After considering your input, I've realized I could maybe do something similar to what this guy demonstrates? Im not sure: 

https://youtu.be/fO_JK7Jrmk0?si=gIOUG_soWSblmsa7

Also, from my understanding, the same graphics card can have varying shapes and sizes due to different manufacturers. I hope to find one that won't require bending my case, a risk I'd rather avoid.  You are correct!  Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will explain what to consider when adding or upgrading a video card.  Once you have read the article you will be able to make a better choice of cards.

Regarding RAM, should I purchase two brand-new sticks then if I want dual channel?  Personally, this is what I would do.  Make certain that you read the section titled "Memory upgrade information" in the Motherboard Specifications.  You should buy memory that is exactly what they recommend.  HP doesn't use XMP's to overclock their memory and if you buy higher speed sticks than listed you won't be able to reach that speed.  It will run at the standard speed of 2133 MHz.

HP Recommended

Sorry for the incessant questioning but just in case, there shouldn't be any issues if i tried to replicate what was done in the video if i manage to find the same, or in the case of the graphics card, smaller, components right?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.