Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0018nl

Hello, I see that a BIOS update is available for my PC but the download is not offered. I have downloaded the sp143841.exe file but before running it I would like to know why it is not downloaded automatically. I have to wait? Can I run the downloaded file? Thank you

-----

Current version: F.48 Available version: F49 rev A

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

A thousand thanks.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi

Sp143841.exe is a valid BIOS update per HP Support https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-690-0000i/1... 

You can install the BIOS update. The "Fixes" section improves security and system compatibility.

As always, losing AC power or shutting down the PC during a BIOS update is not good.

Sometimes a BIOS update can cause unforeseen problems, very rare but it can happen. You will have to weigh the potential risk against the benefit of this update.

HP Recommended

Being proposed by HP for my model, does that mean that it is certainly compatible with my system? Would you recommend upgrading or should I wait? Thank you

-------

Current version: F.48 Available version: F49 rev A

HP Recommended

Hi

It is compatible. You are usually better off doing the update by running the update executable. You have downloaded  sp143841.exe.

HP Support Assistant automated BIOS updates sometimes cause problems.

I recommend BIOS updates if you are having a problem with your PC or a required security fix is provided.

You can wait if your PC is running okay. Or you can install now to get the security fixes.

HP Recommended

A thousand thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi

My pleasure!

HP Recommended

I have a similar question - I updated to F.57 in December, which is no longer available on the HP site, and that Bios is causing my machine to intermittently freeze, but there has been no newer Bios update released since then.

HP Recommended

Hi Nittany91

You have a different problem.

Check this lengthy thread https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Firmware-Rollback-... to see what has happened.

There is a fix but it requires editing the EFI System Partition and reprogramming the BIOS. Or wiping the system drive, reprogram the BIOS. Then install Windows clean or use a system image made prior to the faulty BIOS update.

I have no idea when HP will issue a new BIOS version to correct this problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you Bill_To

HP Recommended

Hi

My pleasure.

The forum link in my first response is the best place to seek a solution.

The thread is solved. New posts are happening on an ongoing basis showing good results.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.