Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Installed the 600W PSU from the Z420 to my Z230 because of greedy GPU and now have a cable issue. 8 pin from PSU instead of 4 pin for connecting to processor on motherboard. What to do? Can’t find adapter cable (female-male). Someone told me this connection was not necessary if GPU was connected directly to PSU? Please help  🙏 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Guggenheimer -I was perhaps too conservative: please check out this previous 600 watts PSU upgrade for a Z230 HP Forum link -this message suggests that it IS indeed possible to make your 600 watts PSU work: HP z420 600w power supply to an HP z230 ? - HP Support Community - 6870168

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Dear Guggenheimer, the HP Z230 power supply upgrade question came up before in this Forum, please see: Power supply upgrade for HP z230 tower - HP Support Community - 5707598

I have dealt/am dealing with various PSU upgrades for legacy HP desktops myself, and looking online at both Z230 & Z420 PSU's, my honest opinion is that the HP Z420 PSU is most likely not compatible with your Z230.

However, where others have gone before, there are solutions available, such as outlined here: https://www.greenpcgamers.com/mfg/hp/hp-z230-gaming-computer-and-other-hardware-upgrades-greenpcgame...

Looking at this link, please note:

1.) You most likely don't need a 750 watts PSU -a 600 watts unit should suffice just fine for most commonly used GPUs.

2.) The GreenPCGamers' Amazon link for the 24 pin Female to 18 Pin Male Adapter has expired.  Here is a working Amazon link for this part [EDIT: link 'mysteriously' disappeared. Just search for: 24 pin Female to 18 Pin Male Adapter for Z230 ]

Good luck!

HP Recommended

I do have a 600 W PSU from a Z420 and my PGU installed on my Z230 needs 500w (RTX 2060 6gb). Done the Greenpcgames upgrade review. My problem is a cable issue (see pic.) Will it work when getting the right adapter  cable (my problem getting one)  or damage something on motherboard?9A6A36D1-A2CF-440C-B6AD-2335123A7FEA.jpeg

HP Recommended

I am using HP Spectre which has been working really great ever since I bought it. However, lately, it has been showing some unusual behavior whenever I play Tomb Raider Underworld on it. Can you help me resolve the issue? I really want to fix this thing. 

HP Recommended

Guggenheimer -I was perhaps too conservative: please check out this previous 600 watts PSU upgrade for a Z230 HP Forum link -this message suggests that it IS indeed possible to make your 600 watts PSU work: HP z420 600w power supply to an HP z230 ? - HP Support Community - 6870168

HP Recommended

Your are my hero!

HP Recommended

😊

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.