Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP xw6600 Base Model Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I would like to upgrade to W11. My XW6600 with Xeon E5420@2,5 GHz, 32 G RAM and SSD cannot upgrade directly to W11. No UEFI and STM 2.0 and Xeon not supported. Is there a bypass available for this situation? Thanks for any info!

Rien B.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2.

Two of the PC's I upgraded were an HP dc7800 CMT and a HP 8000 Elite CMT which do not meet any of the W11 hardware requirements.  Unsupported processors, no UEFI BIOS, no Secure boot and only a TPM 1.2 version security device.

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

If the in-place upgrade fails, you should be able to clean install W11 using the bootable W11 installation flash drive you made with Rufus.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2.

Two of the PC's I upgraded were an HP dc7800 CMT and a HP 8000 Elite CMT which do not meet any of the W11 hardware requirements.  Unsupported processors, no UEFI BIOS, no Secure boot and only a TPM 1.2 version security device.

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

If the in-place upgrade fails, you should be able to clean install W11 using the bootable W11 installation flash drive you made with Rufus.

HP Recommended

Here is a link to Microsoft's currently official description of ways to upgrade on non supported hardware.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/ways-to-install-windows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul, I was not sure whether it would work for the Xeon processor.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome. 

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. 

Please post back and let us know the results. 

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

thank you for your help sofar, I noticed that you filled out Rufus assuming W10 is running under UEFI, it is not however.Do I still fill out GPT? And I noticed there is an update of Rufus, should I install that?

Thanks for considering my questions, best,

Rien

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Rien.

I recommend you change the partition scheme to MBR in case you need to clean install W11 if the in-place upgrade fails.

That is the only thing you need to change.

You must use the version of Rufus I attached because all of the versions subsequent to 3.18 have the W11 hardware check bypass setting removed.

Cheers,

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

I may have reacted twice, but to be sure everybody can read it: your instructions worked flawlessly! And indeed win 11 appears faster on my XW 6400 (which I used less than my XW 6600 :))

Best, Rien

HP Recommended

Anytime, Rien.

Glad to have been of assistance. 

Cheers, 

Paul 

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I also applied your method to upgrading a HP8470p with SSD and 16 Gb RAM. It also works fine, however sound is limited, the volume cannot be turned up sufficiently. I formatted the sound as CD, so the lowest demand, processor wise.  I installed the latest updates. In the device control tab of sound, video and games I found two High Definition  audio devices, both working normally (according to the general tab); 1 on bus 0 and 1 on bus 3. Both had the same driver version: 10.0.22621.608. I noted that in the events tab of the devices  the following info was mentioned:

Service: HdAudAddService
Lower Filters:
Upper Filters:
Problem: 0x0
Problem Status: 0xC00000E5

Would you have any suggestions to solve this issue? Thx for your effort,

Rien

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.