Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop - 290-p0043w
Other

The Menlo Motherboard in my second-hand HP Slimline Desktop - 290-p0043w has an M.2 slot with what seems to be an M-key  which seems to be the common form factor for PCIe ×4, SATA and SMBus, but HP is NOT transparent about the specs! All documentation just reads: "SSD".

Despite hours of research through the documentation and system specs, and searching every marking on the board, I just want to know:

The M.2 slot in this product, what specs does it have?

Is it SATA only?

If NVMe, what generation, lanes, speed? 

IMG_20220709_233641504_HDR.jpgIMG_20220709_232810119_HDR.jpg

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@lawsonott3 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06102969

Its motherboard

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05991290

Which shows it has

• One M.2 socket 1, 2230 type for WLAN
  • One M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for SSD

The slot for SSD support PCIe 3x4

The first M.2 slot is occupied by Wireless LAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (1x1) and Bluetooth 4.2 M.2.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@benhien

hi!

thanks for re-linking the same pages i linked in my originally post.

that helps to reiterate the fact that the specs are NOT available.

open both pages and expand every category, then Ctrl+F: "NVMe" or "PCIe"

they aren't listed anywhere.

now, i see that you assert, "The slot for SSD support PCIe 3x4"

but from what source do you draw your knowledge, please?

HP Recommended

@lawsonott3 

Look at the generation of its CPU, actually the M.2 SSD (when it says nothing) slot supports both SATA & NVMe (PCIe) in this case.

Hope this makes sense

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

yeah, we are making assumptions.

but what's exasperating is the manufacturer refused to disclose the information.

Q: what SSD technologies are supported by that slot? how to put the best SSD in there without wasting performance?

A: "SSD"

may as well just have this interaction in the store:

Q: how much does that computer cost?

A: "money"

HP Recommended

@lawsonott3 

A1, M.2 NVMe SSD such as  https://www.samsung.com/au/memory-storage/nvme-ssd/970-evo-nvme-m-2-ssd-500gb-mz-v7e500bw/

A2. Sorry I don't know. I don't sell computers. You have to ask a shop which stocks the machine.

Regards.

BH

HP Recommended

Hi, @lawsonott3 

Using the forum's search feature, I have found that the PC's with the Menlo motherboard support NVMe M.2 SSD's.

Solved: M.2 SSD slot configuration AND using the PCIe x16 - HP Support Community - 6816027

Solved: ssd upgrade help - HP Support Community - 6839061

You will also find specifications on other HP PC's with the Menlo motherboard where they came with M.2 NVMe SSD's from the factory.

Here's two of many, for example.

HP Slimline Desktop - 290-p0000nf Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

HP Slimline Desktop - 290-p0000nw Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

As a matter of fact, a SATA M.2 SSD will not work in the Menlo motherboard.

Solved: What SSD can I use in my desktop, SATA or NVME? - HP Support Community - 7787876

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.