Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slimline 290-p0014 Desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to install an SSD in this computer but first need to know a few things.

There are TWO types of M.2 ssd's from my understanding. One is the SATA bus & one is the PCI bus. I did read on this forum that HP does not gererally use the SATA bus for this purpose so that leaves me with picking up a PCI  NVME M.2 drive.

Now when I looked at the motherboard I notice there was no hold down screw for when I install the M.2 drive.

1) Should I assume that the hold down screw will be included with the M.2 that I will purchase? 

2) There seems to be another type of M.2 drive from Intel called  Intel QLC Technology, Will this M.2 drive also work in my HP computer?

PLEASE HELP!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Vaioguy , welcome to the forum.

@Vaioguy wrote:

I want to install an SSD in this computer but first need to know a few things.

There are TWO types of M.2 ssd's from my understanding. One is the SATA bus & one is the PCI bus. I did read on this forum that HP does not gererally use the SATA bus for this purpose so that leaves me with picking up a PCI  NVME M.2 drive.

Now when I looked at the motherboard I notice there was no hold down screw for when I install the M.2 drive.

1) Should I assume that the hold down screw will be included with the M.2 that I will purchase?  Some of the SSD's come with the screw, others don't.  You should be able to buy one at a local computer shop.

2) There seems to be another type of M.2 drive from Intel called  Intel QLC Technology, Will this M.2 drive also work in my HP computer?  Here are the SSD's (Standard and M.2) that are recommended by Crucial Memory: 

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-slimline-290-p0014

If you have further questions about the Crucial SSD's, you can contact their Tech Support for help.  If you decide to not to buy from Crucial you can use the specifications for their drives to buy from another manufacturer.

PLEASE HELP!

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Everything I have read here tells me that  the HP 290-p0014 desktop uses PCIe NVme M.2 SSD's. Now your Crucial link is showing SATA bus M.2's. Now I am really confused.

PLEASE ELABORATE & CLARIFY

HP Recommended

@Vaioguy 

The reason that I referred you to Crucial Memory is because I couldn't find any good information on the M.2 socket 3, 2280 type for a SSD.  I had always been told that HP motherboards would accomodate NVMe, but couldn't confirm it.  Now, after exhaustive research, I am prepared to tell you that you can use a PCIe, NVMe, SSD in your computer.

I, too, am confused about the information provided by Crucial.  I will be contacting them further tomorrow to see what they have to say.  The strange part is, they guaranty any of their products to work if their website recommends it.

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I would love to hear what crucial tells you about their choice of SSD’s.

In the next few days I will install the Intel 660P QLC SSD’s I referenced in my original post and will post to this forum and you if they work in my HP 290-P0014 system.

Incedentally I also own a modified HP TouchPad!

HP Recommended

You are welocme,  @Vaioguy !

Well, I contacted Crucial.  They are going to check the information on their website to see if it is correct.  The Tech told me that they had sold three of the M.2 drives and two had been returned.  It may be because the information was incorrect.  He said if changes were necessary they would be made in the next couple of days.

HP Recommended

would love to hear back from you when Crucial gets in touch with you

HP Recommended

The Tech told me that he would provide the information to their engineers to have them check it out.  He isn't planning to contact me further, but to continue to watch their website for any change.  So far, I haven't seen any change.

HP Recommended

@Vaioguy, I just got information from one of the HP Techs who said the information that I provided from Crucial is correct.  The drives are SATA.

HP Recommended

Well I have some contradictory news for this forum my friend.  It seems that the Intel PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD I referenced in my  post does indeed work in the HP 290-p0014 also. Here is the Intel link to that exact SSD I am now using:

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/149405/intel-ssd-660p-series-512gb-m-2-80mm-pci...

So I guess this computer does indeed use SATA also with the M.2's

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.