Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z240 Small Form Factor Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to install a SAMSUNG M.2 Pro980 drive into the slot on the motherboard.  It fits just fine, but the risers where the retention screw is supposed to hold it down is too small for the m.2 screws which came with the drive.  There are 2 screws one slightly longer than the other - but they appear to be too wide for the hole.  They will not even start to thread.  

Why can computer manufacturers not follow a universal size?  Anyone know that size the screw is, and where you find ONE - I do not need to purchase 200-600 screw kits.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@bearhntr,

[EDIT:] The screw that fastens the M.2 NVMe SSD onto the HP Z240 chassis appears to have approximately a 1.5mm diameter:

NonSequitur777_0-1677474552594.png

NonSequitur777_0-1677473463137.png

Doggonit, I should know: I upgraded an HP Z240 SFF a little while back: Solved: Upgrading HP Z240 Desktop Workstation SFF - HP Support Community - 8427878, and to answer your question at long last, I decided at the time to purchase the HP Z240 M.2 NVMe SSD heatsink with p/n: 826414-001, such as this purchase option via eBay: HP NVMe SSD Caddy with Heat Sink for HP Z240 Workstation SFF Desktop 826414-001 659455428671 | eBay.

This purchase will solve all of your problems: it comes with the correct M1.6 screw/spacer, and you'll have an effective M.2 NVMe SSD heatsink along with it too.

Hope this was helpful -at last.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@bearhntr,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

One M.2 x 3mm screw?  -Here you go: M2 x 3mm Flathead Phillips Screws, DIN 965 NVME M.2 SSD Hard Drive Qty disccount | eBay.

NonSequitur777_0-1677288425175.png

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@NonSequitur777,

Thanks for your reply, but the screw needed for the Z240 is not a 2.0mm (m.2) screw.  The NVME drive that I purchased came with 2x screws - one longer than the other (as I stated in my posting).  NEITHER of them will fit into the retaining posts in the Z240.  They are too big. 

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen,

Hmm, any ideas here?

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Not a clue.

Every M.2 drive I have ever come across in any notebook or desktop PC I have worked on has a single hold down screw that is 2 mm wide by 3 mm long.

That's a question for @SDH or @DGroves 

HP Recommended

Paul and Non-Seq...

I agree 100% every one that I have ever installed - installed just fine with an m.2 (2mm x 3mm by 0.35 pitch screw).  Not this Z240.  Trust me, I have tried 6 of them from a batch of them I purchased for another project I was working on.  They DO NOT FIT - it is infuriating.  

Why in the hell computer manufacturers have to be different, blows my mind. 

HP Recommended

you need a M1.6 x 6mm screw size and most likely some fiber washers as most m1.6 screw heads are to small to securely hold down the ssd and if possible a plastic spacer to set the Hight or some m1.6 nuts 

https://www.amazon.com/Hex-Nuts-M1-6-0-35-Hardware/s?keywords=Hex+Nuts&rh=n%3A16409981%2Cp_n_feature...

HP Recommended

@bearhntr,

[EDIT:] The screw that fastens the M.2 NVMe SSD onto the HP Z240 chassis appears to have approximately a 1.5mm diameter:

NonSequitur777_0-1677474552594.png

NonSequitur777_0-1677473463137.png

Doggonit, I should know: I upgraded an HP Z240 SFF a little while back: Solved: Upgrading HP Z240 Desktop Workstation SFF - HP Support Community - 8427878, and to answer your question at long last, I decided at the time to purchase the HP Z240 M.2 NVMe SSD heatsink with p/n: 826414-001, such as this purchase option via eBay: HP NVMe SSD Caddy with Heat Sink for HP Z240 Workstation SFF Desktop 826414-001 659455428671 | eBay.

This purchase will solve all of your problems: it comes with the correct M1.6 screw/spacer, and you'll have an effective M.2 NVMe SSD heatsink along with it too.

Hope this was helpful -at last.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

@DGroves,

Thank You - I simply ordered one of those kits from eBay which is made for the Z240.  It still INFURIATING that computer manufacturers "FORCE" you to use non-standard parts to upgrade your equipment.  It is called an m.2 drive for a reason.  LOL

Thanks for the link to the nuts - but I guess I will be getting all that I need when the kit arrives Fri to Mon.

HP Recommended

@NonSequitur777,  

Thank You much for the link and part number -- I have ordered one of those from eBay (the same seller where I purchased the mounting kits for my 2x T620 ThinClients.  

I just wish that computer manufacturers would use INDUSTRY STANDARD parts. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.