Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
pavilion s3700y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently installed windows 10 64 bit on my pavilions 3700y PC and everything worked fine till a couple of weeks ago my CD/DVD player recorder quit working it still loads and unloads and I can hear the disc spinning but its showing nothing. I've tried store bought discs and homemade discs but nothing plays. The device manager states its working but it's not. The HP assistant instructed me to uninstall the drivers and restart it but that did not work. i went online a download the Nero program to see if that helps but no luck. I've run out of things I can do. HP won't help saying i don't have a warranty (no kidding?) Anyone can help me solve this problem would be great. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

If the external player is working, then it is possible the internal DVD?CD player has failed.  That does happen.  Old hardware from 2008 cannot be expected to last forever.  12 years is pretty old for computer.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

There seems to be a common problem with Windows 10 and CD/DVD drives.  If device manager knows the drive is there and has installed the drivers, just for informational tests, install VLC.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

It can play most any disk and does not require anything from codecs or additional  things to play the disk.  Install the software and start the program.  Insert a disk.  Click the "Media" tab and then "open disk"  If it is going to work, it should then give you a screen that shows the DVD/CD drive and the title of the media when you click the down arrow on the "disc device"  Then click play.

Please explain the statement "download the Nero program"  Which program, as there are a multitude included in the complete program?

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

this is the wrong title is not really just a simple CD error

windows 10 does not support your AMD 430 Nforce chip set at all 2009 last one, vista. fact.

I was lazy first time , until I read your mOBO  spec, bingo WRONG PC From any W10.

NFORCE PCs all w10 are dead but last year made that you do not have.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

430 no good.

end.

HP Recommended

amd 430 is zero support/.

HP Recommended

did as you said and nothing happened its like it does not recognize the dvd player. thanks anyway

HP Recommended

no the cd/dvd player does not show up

HP Recommended

tried laying on its side but nothing changed

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my Pavilion and Windows 10 - It spins up the disk but Windows does not see it.  I can force it to see it each time by doing the following:

Go into device manager and click on the DVD/CD-ROM drive.

Double click on the drive under that heading to open its properties and Windows immediately reacts to the new disk.

HP Recommended

OLD PCs that do not have all w10 drives, sure.  Athlon 64 X2 PC.

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

w10 does not support that chip set,  at all the last AMD driver was 2009 for VISTA only so that is your problem.

seen that many times.

if not 430 but is)

bad ODD

find any CD that is and install disk ,not  CDDA music disk see on counter racks at walmare.

use install disks because all PCs made read those, no not mAC, real PCs your pC.

then click this PC>  this is windows local explorer.

it must see that CD or the drive bad  (ODD bad) or the PC drivers are wrong.

if no file seen the drive is bad, or driver for that LAME 430 are NO GOOD aS WE ALL KNOW ARE.

SOLVED

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.