Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
phoenix 810
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just bought a rtx2070 8gb graphics card. While looking up details about my system, it appears it may not work with the pegatron 2ace motherboard. From what I've read the newer cards need uefi bios to run the card.

I never see the bios screen when turning on the computer so I don't know what bios version it has.

I was also looking at getting the fastest last cpu (mine is i7-4930K) to fit the socket r (lga 2011-0) and then pass this onto my son.

It's been a utterly reliable workhorse for me since I bought it new. It's stays on 24/7 and I only reboot when windows/av insist I do so.

I'd appreciate any information provided.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@guardian256 , welcome to the forum.

What is the full model or product number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. Here is a guide to help you find it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

In the mean time, you can enter the BIOS setup menu by tapping Esc once per second the minute the computer starts to boot.  Then, I believe that you have to click F10.  Also, you can find the BIOS type by going to System information/BIOS mode.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@guardian256 , welcome to the forum.

What is the full model or product number of the computer? I need this information to review the specifications of it. Please don't furnish the Serial # or other personal information. Here is a guide to help you find it: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07555

In the mean time, you can enter the BIOS setup menu by tapping Esc once per second the minute the computer starts to boot.  Then, I believe that you have to click F10.  Also, you can find the BIOS type by going to System information/BIOS mode.

HP Recommended

The product number is

J6N65AV#ABA

According to hwinfo64, my bios is dated 04/30/2014 and is version 8.19

It would appear from the info provided that I do indeed have uefi boot so hopefully the new video card wont be an issue?

giggedy-giggedy

HP Recommended

I believe that you are correct!  The computer was released in 2014 with Win 8.1.  Therefore, it is definitely UEFI:  https://www.howtogeek.com/56958/HTG-EXPLAINS-HOW-UEFI-WILL-REPLACE-THE-BIOS/

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will give you some tips on buying a new card:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

HP Recommended

Thanks for the links. It appears that I've dodged a bullet on the graphics card.

Now I'm just looking to see what is the best cpu I can throw into this box.

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @guardian256!

Here is the Product Specifications page for the computer:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-phoenix-810-300-desktop-pc-series/7161705/model/7276717...

If you look at the section titled "Processor", it appears that the fastest processor that has been fully tested to be compatible with the motherboard is the i7-4960X.  Personally, I don't believe that would see that much system performance increase with only 200 MHz speed increase.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the info.

I think I'm going to have to look at buy a new box. 32gb of ram isn't enough these days for 3d and I'm not going to bother changing the cpu. It'll be more than adequate for my son though.

Just have to make my mind up as to build or not build and buy another HP

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @guardian256!  I believe that you made the correct decision not to upgrade the processor.  The performance increase would be minimal.

HP Recommended

This was the best I could find to customise on HP.

OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-0255st
Product #: 1A226AV_1
$3058.99
$2858.99
Primary Specs
Base HP OMEN 30L DESKTOP PC Operating system Windows 10 Pro Processor Intel® Core™ i9-10900K W/RGB liquid cooling(3.7 GHz up to 5.3 GHz, 20 MB L3 cache, 10 cores) Memory HyperX® 64 GB DDR4-3200 XMP SDRAM (4 x 16 GB) Storage 512 GB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™ memory Secondary storage 2 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD Graphics card NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 2070 Super™ (8 GB GDDR6 dedicated)
Additional Specs
Intel® Optane™ memory No Optane RAID No RAID Third storage No Third storage Fourth storage No HDD Chassis and Power supply Front Bezel Shadow Black Glass, Dark Chrome Logo+ Side Cover Glass with Cooler Master 750 W Platinum efficiency power supply Networking Realtek Wi-Fi 5 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo, MU-MIMO supported Productivity software Office Trial McAfee LiveSafe™ security software McAfee Livesafe (30 day) Keyboard and mouse HP black wired keyboard with volume control and wired optical mouse kit Base Unit BU RCTO OMN DoradoOC Z490 Country kit CKIT HP CTO OMEN 1C20 US Cycle AV 20C1 Cycle AV OpSysSW Localization OSLOC US Technical AV 1 MISC HEVC MEDIA EXTENSION HP Warranty WARR 1/1/0 US
HP Recommended

@guardian256, all I can say is, WOW!!  I was going to tell you to give HP's latest gaming computers a look before making a decision on what to do.  This is an example of one of the best.  I guaranty you that if you buy the components to build one yourself, it will cost far more money.  It has my vote.  You may want to look at a larger SSD in the future, but everything else looks great!!  Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.