Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP_ENVY_All-in-One-32-a0012na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The HP Support Assistant has twice attempted to update the BIOS on my 'Envy AIO 32 a0012na' from F12 to F15 and on both occassions the update history shows it as failed.

The PC will restart and go through the BIOS upgrade and verification process with no errors shown, yet upon interrogating the Support Assistant it is listed as failed.

The update is 'HP Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family SSID 86C6)', softpaq number sp104337, Version F15.

Any ideas why this recommended update is failing?

My Rig: HP ENVY All-in-One 32-a0012na. P/N: 9QH13EA#ABU. Spec: i7 9700 @ 3Ghz+32GB DDR4+512GB /32GB Optane SSD+nVidia RTX2080 (8GB GDDR6). OS: Windows 10 Pro (64) Ver 2004.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I was contacted by HP Support through WhatsApp and followed their suggestion to update again followed by a 'Power Drain'. This again FAILED to install the F15 BIOS update, so I did some experimentation myself...

I ran the SP update in Windows, let the system reboot and enter Windows again. I also created a BIOS recovery USB just in case and plugged it in (it took ages btw). Restarting the PC I went into the Pre-Boot UEFI Diagnostics option (pressing ESC at Boot), selecting F2 [System Diagnostics], then [Firmware Management] and finally [BIOS update]. The system detected that F15 was available and commenced flashing.

After exiting UEFI itself, the system could be seen writing blocks during a POST screen in the top left of the monitor (a bit like DOS). It then entered the update process again and 'recovered' the BIOS before booting through into Windows - the end result was an update to BIOS F15.

Downloading the HP Softpaq and doing a Power Drain did not work - my method did.

Chalk one up to End-User! 😁

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
Can you cancel the update?
If possible, try not to let HPSA install the update.
I don't know if there can be a link but it says:

Fix and enhancements:

- The first released 20H1 Soft-roll production candidate BIOS
- Provides improved security

Which would correspond to the latest maj windows 2004, in doubt anyway, if it does not install better wait.
insisting could make the computer unusable if it goes wrong

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I'm leaving the version at F12, even though the HP Support Assistant is flagging the F15 update as 'Important' and is showing red. This problem needs to be looked at by HP, especially as they have released a BIOS update for a new system that cannot accept the update.

My Rig: HP ENVY All-in-One 32-a0012na. P/N: 9QH13EA#ABU. Spec: i7 9700 @ 3Ghz+32GB DDR4+512GB /32GB Optane SSD+nVidia RTX2080 (8GB GDDR6). OS: Windows 10 Pro (64) Ver 2004.

HP Recommended

I was contacted by HP Support through WhatsApp and followed their suggestion to update again followed by a 'Power Drain'. This again FAILED to install the F15 BIOS update, so I did some experimentation myself...

I ran the SP update in Windows, let the system reboot and enter Windows again. I also created a BIOS recovery USB just in case and plugged it in (it took ages btw). Restarting the PC I went into the Pre-Boot UEFI Diagnostics option (pressing ESC at Boot), selecting F2 [System Diagnostics], then [Firmware Management] and finally [BIOS update]. The system detected that F15 was available and commenced flashing.

After exiting UEFI itself, the system could be seen writing blocks during a POST screen in the top left of the monitor (a bit like DOS). It then entered the update process again and 'recovered' the BIOS before booting through into Windows - the end result was an update to BIOS F15.

Downloading the HP Softpaq and doing a Power Drain did not work - my method did.

Chalk one up to End-User! 😁

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.