Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Does anyone know how to resolve a Code Purple Error?

I promised to give my Compaq Presario SR 1103WM computer to my nephews. My computer worked fine. But, I no longer have the System Recovery Disks so  I did a F10 (Full System Restore) this morning. Now,  I receive a "System Configuration Error" message and Code Purple Error.

I called HP/Compaq Technical Support and the representative initially questions whether or not I had added or changed any hardware. Two years ago, the modem blew out during a storm. I had a warranty from Wal-mart and they sent someone out who replaced the modem.

The HP/Compawq representatives puts me on hold for a long time with the impression this is what the issue is. When, she comes back its "suddenly" the motherboard on my computer has went bad.

Now, because my system is over 5 years old, she suggested I purchase a new computer. That's just plain wasteful. I don't believe my motherboard "spontaneously" at the same time as the  System Recovery went bad. I'm really bothered because I don't believe I received an honest response just an easy one.

Can anyone tell me how to resolved a Code Purple Error? Is there a way undo the incomplete System restore?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Code Purple is a problem exclusive to HP's, the easiest solution is to avoid them. However, it's already too late for you as it was for me. Basically it's an attempt to force you to pay them to service or upgrade your PC, or if you didn't learn the first time, buy another. Here is the most concise answer I found, tried to translate into plain english.

***PLAIN ENGLISH QUICK AND EASY FIX FOR ALL SYSTEMS****
***Windows 7 code purple or Windows Vista code purple***

With the code purple error on the screen, press shift+f10 (the shift key and the F10 key (at the top of the keyboard) at the same time) to open a little screen called a command prompt. (So, you get a little black screen with white text that says something about your Windows verison first and a little ways down you'll see "C:\>".   It's all ready for you to start typing.)
Type the following line, just as you see it here...

notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

so it will look like this

C:\>notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

Press Enter.

You will see the text for the file listed in a window using a simple text editor.
Go to the beginning of the text. Press enter to make a space. Type this...

goto cleanup

So, whatever comes after, the first line looks like this...

goto cleanup

Save the file and exit notepad and restart your PC. You are good to go.

View solution in original post

46 REPLIES 46
HP Recommended

Read this post. It might be helpful.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Code Purple:

http://www.billoblog.com/?p=152

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-xp/469752-code-purple-configuration-error-hp.html

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

hey whats up i had to do some research my self i called hp and they told me to send the computer  to them to repair it well i did some more research and found out on my on that is a lie you don't have to send it back to get it repaired all you need is the actual recovery disc for that computer everything had to be the same not because it looks the same as a friends computer cause some all in one computers look the same but different model like mine is a ms225 i tried to install my friends hes got a ms227 it did install but when the computer got ready to start for the first time i got a code purple so i couldnt find the disc no where so i ended up having to order the disc from hp i wasn't high as sending it in for repair especially if your cp is out of warranty all i had to pay was 16 something for standard shipping but my computer is up and running again so i hope this helped

HP Recommended

Hello justinsc192007, Glad you got it sorted. HP recommends that the customer make a set of Recovery Disk when the system is first setup. These disk are specific to that system and no other. This is done to prevent others from trying to use software that was shipped for one computer to be used on another computer.

HP does provide a service for the Recovery disk as you suggested, at a reasonable price. This are only available for a period of time and may not be available in a few years.

I would suggest the user store these Recovery disk in a safe place, because they will be needed at some future time, perhaps when a hard drvie fails or the system becomes corrupted and a fresh install is required.

Thanks for the update.

Please click the White Kudos star on the left, to say thanks.

Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I also found a"code purple" on my desktop(Windows XP)after using system recovery. This compaq is about 5 years old and

when I later tried to use my "recovery discs" the dreaded code purple appeared once again. Frustrated and don't know what

else to do.

HP Recommended

Code Purple is a problem exclusive to HP's, the easiest solution is to avoid them. However, it's already too late for you as it was for me. Basically it's an attempt to force you to pay them to service or upgrade your PC, or if you didn't learn the first time, buy another. Here is the most concise answer I found, tried to translate into plain english.

***PLAIN ENGLISH QUICK AND EASY FIX FOR ALL SYSTEMS****
***Windows 7 code purple or Windows Vista code purple***

With the code purple error on the screen, press shift+f10 (the shift key and the F10 key (at the top of the keyboard) at the same time) to open a little screen called a command prompt. (So, you get a little black screen with white text that says something about your Windows verison first and a little ways down you'll see "C:\>".   It's all ready for you to start typing.)
Type the following line, just as you see it here...

notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

so it will look like this

C:\>notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd

Press Enter.

You will see the text for the file listed in a window using a simple text editor.
Go to the beginning of the text. Press enter to make a space. Type this...

goto cleanup

So, whatever comes after, the first line looks like this...

goto cleanup

Save the file and exit notepad and restart your PC. You are good to go.

HP Recommended

http://www.geek.com/forums/topic/reconfigured-hp-pc-code-purple-help-please

The link is to a thread from another site.  Some claim to have had success fixing the issue.  You might want to take a look at it.

GeorgeFN

GeorgeFN
I work on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Yes, that is also a workable solution. However, it takes much, much longer, and you have to have some $200 for a new copy of windows.  I paid less than that for my used tower, so, for me, it wouldn't be practical. Thanks for the link though.

HP Recommended
This answer was amazing. Simple and effective. I am very grateful for your post. Thanks. Re: Code Purple Error-Help Options 05-14-2012 08:37 PM Code Purple is a problem exclusive to HP's, the easiest solution is to avoid them. However, it's already too late for you as it was for me. Basically it's an attempt to force you to pay them to service or upgrade your PC, or if you didn't learn the first time, buy another. Here is the most concise answer I found, tried to translate into plain english. ***PLAIN ENGLISH QUICK AND EASY FIX FOR ALL SYSTEMS**** ***Windows 7 code purple or Windows Vista code purple***   With the code purple error on the screen, press shift+f10 (the shift key and the F10 key (at the top of the keyboard) at the same time) to open a little screen called a command prompt. (So, you get a little black screen with white text that says something about your Windows verison first and a little ways down you'll see "C:\>".   It's all ready for you to start typing.) Type the following line, just as you see it here...   notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd   so it will look like this   C:\>notepad C:\hp\bin\checkdmi\checkdmi.cmd   Press Enter. You will see the text for the file listed in a window using a simple text editor. Go to the beginning of the text. Press enter to make a space. Type this...   goto cleanup   So, whatever comes after, the first line looks like this...   goto cleanup  
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.