Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy Recline 27"
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I tried to access bios settings by hitting escape repeatedly during startup, system froze with black screen. Never got Startup Screen. I had to do Bios Recovery by the Logo-B method to restart.

I used to be able to acces bios this way, but I always had to use a wire keyboard since the Recline Keyboard is wireless.

I then tried to access bios settings from Windows Settings Advanced Startup Options screen. The same hang occurred on restart. Once again i had to use Logo-B keys to do a Bios Recovery.

Is this bug introduced by Windows Update?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Genesis-, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Here is a related post you can refer to- https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/How-to-fix-pc-after-bios-crash-after-update/m.... If you have already tried the steps from the post, please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further course of action.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I do not think the two issues are related all. There was no update involved, I am simply trying to access bios settings, but both methods cause me to hang.  This is during normal operation.

I did ask if this could be a bug introduced by a recent update. This may have introduced confusion.

HP Recommended

@Genesis-

The steps suggested in the above mentioned link will help resolve ur issue, I suggest you perform the same, if nothing works, you may be right about this being a bug and to get that fixed, I recommend contacting HP support.

Thanks for understanding!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You seem to misunderstand me. The suggestions in that link, describe the exact procedures that i had to perform to get out of the hang when trying to access BIOS settings. I have ALREADY BEEN DOING THAT. It is very frustrating being advised to do what one has already been doing.

The bios recovery procedure does NOT solve the problem of hang while trying to access bios settings. it just recovers from it.

There is no longer any HP support for the Envy Recline AFAIK.

HP Recommended

@genesis I'm afraid that seems like a hardware malfunction and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.