Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Desktop PC TE02-0000i RCTO Base Model
Microsoft Windows 11
After updating my HP Envy TE02-0250xt Windows 11 desktop (with a Windows 11 22H2 .NET update), the system no longer boots.
After a few seconds, I see the Recovery screen.

Hardware diagnostics pass: system fast test, CPU, system board, TPM, video.

I've tried various operations from the Recovery environment (F1 at the Recovery screen):
* Startup Repair - accepts Bitlocker recovery keys, but "Startup Repair could not repair your PC"; logfile=C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt
* from the log: "Root cause found: a recently serviced boot binary is corrupt."
* Uninstall Update - neither latest quality update nor latest feature update can be uninstalled due to pending update.  "Try running Startup Repair instead."
* Troubleshoot > Command Prompt:
* > sfc /verifyonly /offbootdir=C:\ /offwindir=C:\Windows
* sfc reports "There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete.  Restart windows and run sfc again."

I did not create a recovery USB stick from this system.
I did create a recovery USB stick from a different system: 2019 HP system (Pavilion 690-0067C HP3LA37AAR, Ryzen 7 1700, Radeon RX 550, 16GB DDR4, Windows 10 Home 64-bit).  Can I use that Windows Recovery USB stick to repair this system?

The boot drive is a 256GB NVMe M2 SSD.
Data is on a 1TB HDD.

I do not have a system image.
I have a data backup from several weeks ago using Paragon Backup & Recovery 17 CE.

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm updating my original request for help on this forum for anyone out there with a similar problem who stumbles across this post in search of a solution.

I decided not to pursue HP support, because:

• my system stopped booting after a failed MS Windows update
  • HP diagnostics showed that all physical components are functioning correctly
  • my warranty (and therefore free HP support) has expired

To anyone who reads this: If you cannot boot to Windows, clone or image your system drive, first. Do this before making any change to your system or attempting any fix.  If you can boot to Windows and are reading this, make a recovery USB stick from your system if you haven't already.  Here is how to do it on Windows 11: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-recovery-drive-abb4691b-5324-6d4a-8766-73fab304... 

Original problem: BSOD while booting to Windows, with the message: "After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs to be repaired. Error code 0xc0000001". Further inspection of the C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt file showed: "a recently serviced boot binary is corrupt."

Final solution: Boot to the Windows Recovery environment on the Windows Recovery partition. Restore the system to a good System Restore point.  This may not work for everyone.

I used rescuezilla 2.4.2 to image (and clone) my system. https://rescuezilla.com/ 
I used Rufus 4.2 to install rescuezilla to a USB stick. https://rufus.ie/en/

Rescuezilla is easy to use, recognized my internal drives, and created clones and images of my Windows System that behaved correctly when cloned/restored back to my internal NMVe M2 SSD. There are other cloning/imaging tools - YMMV.

Also, my HP TE02-0250xt requires the Intel RST/RAID drivers (iastorvd.inf) in order for the system to read/write my internal drives, even though my drives are not configured for RAID. If your situation is anything like mine, you'll have trouble with any WinPE/WinRE-based external USB drive that wasn't created on your system before it stopped booting.

On the other hand, rescuezilla (and clonezilla) read my internal drives "out of the box", are free, and the USB sticks can be created on any other system you have access to.

I'm glad I imaged my system drive before I tried to fix it, because I had to try a bunch of things before I found the solution. Many of those attempted fixes screwed my system drive up so badly that I had to restore the NVMe SSD from my backup image several times before I found the solution.

Restoring from a System Restore point is only one possible fix, but it worked for me. Greg Carmack (MS community moderator, MS Windows MVP) has several posts on MS Community forums with suggestions for fixing boot problems. This post was helpful : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-in-automatic-repair-loop-get-log-file-... 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Additional info from OP:
Details for my 2022 HP TE02-0250xt:
* i5 12400
* RTX 3060 Ti
* 16GB DDR4-3200
* 256GB NVMe M2 SSD
* 1TB SATA HDD
* Windows 11 Home 64

On 8/15, from Recovery > Troubleshoot > Command Prompt, I ran DISM:
> dism /image:c:\ /cleanup-image /scanhealth

dism reported: No component store corruption detected. The operation completed successfully.

HP Recommended

Hi @still_confused1,

Welcome to the HP support community.

Please help us with the laptop serial number or the product number on a private message for further assistance.

Here is the link to find the product number:- Click here

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Support Community profile, next to your profile Name.

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended
Additional info from OP:
I ran chkdsk C: (on the NVMe SSD system drive), and it appears to be healthy:
"Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required."

I ran chkdsk 😧 (on the SATA HDD data drive), and got the same message.

I got the windows update list using:
x:> dism /image:c:\ /get-packages /format:table

I can report the entire output from dism /get-packages, if anyone is interested.

There are 3 kinds of pending installs:
a. OnDemand Pack items ending in "...~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.22621.2134"
b. an Update item: Package_for_DotNetRollup_481~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.9176.1
c. a Security Update item: Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~22621.2134.1.5

I tried: dism /Image:C:\  /get-packageinfo /PackageName:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~22621.2134.1.5
But, I got "The specified package is not valid Windows package", probably because the update is pending.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to access the files in my Paragon Backup & Recovery 17 CE file/folder .pvhd backup files.
I've installed Paragon B&R 17 CE on another system and attached the external USB HDD with the backups.  But, Paragon doesn't recognize the backups on the HDD.  It seems that there is some info on the original system that Paragon needs in order to recognize the backups.
I'm able to read files from both internal drives, when booted to the Win recovery partition.  I copied roughly 200GB from 😧 with robocopy.  But that took 10 hours.
I'm looking into portable backup alternatives.
HP Recommended

In the above post, 😧 is supposed to be the D drive, i.e., D :

HP Recommended

Hi @still_confused1,

Thank you for your response, 

Due to limited support, I would request you contact our HP Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link.

https://www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance.

Have a great day!

Alden4
HP Support 

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

I'm updating my original request for help on this forum for anyone out there with a similar problem who stumbles across this post in search of a solution.

I decided not to pursue HP support, because:

• my system stopped booting after a failed MS Windows update
  • HP diagnostics showed that all physical components are functioning correctly
  • my warranty (and therefore free HP support) has expired

To anyone who reads this: If you cannot boot to Windows, clone or image your system drive, first. Do this before making any change to your system or attempting any fix.  If you can boot to Windows and are reading this, make a recovery USB stick from your system if you haven't already.  Here is how to do it on Windows 11: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-recovery-drive-abb4691b-5324-6d4a-8766-73fab304... 

Original problem: BSOD while booting to Windows, with the message: "After multiple tries, the operating system on your PC failed to start, so it needs to be repaired. Error code 0xc0000001". Further inspection of the C:\Windows\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt file showed: "a recently serviced boot binary is corrupt."

Final solution: Boot to the Windows Recovery environment on the Windows Recovery partition. Restore the system to a good System Restore point.  This may not work for everyone.

I used rescuezilla 2.4.2 to image (and clone) my system. https://rescuezilla.com/ 
I used Rufus 4.2 to install rescuezilla to a USB stick. https://rufus.ie/en/

Rescuezilla is easy to use, recognized my internal drives, and created clones and images of my Windows System that behaved correctly when cloned/restored back to my internal NMVe M2 SSD. There are other cloning/imaging tools - YMMV.

Also, my HP TE02-0250xt requires the Intel RST/RAID drivers (iastorvd.inf) in order for the system to read/write my internal drives, even though my drives are not configured for RAID. If your situation is anything like mine, you'll have trouble with any WinPE/WinRE-based external USB drive that wasn't created on your system before it stopped booting.

On the other hand, rescuezilla (and clonezilla) read my internal drives "out of the box", are free, and the USB sticks can be created on any other system you have access to.

I'm glad I imaged my system drive before I tried to fix it, because I had to try a bunch of things before I found the solution. Many of those attempted fixes screwed my system drive up so badly that I had to restore the NVMe SSD from my backup image several times before I found the solution.

Restoring from a System Restore point is only one possible fix, but it worked for me. Greg Carmack (MS community moderator, MS Windows MVP) has several posts on MS Community forums with suggestions for fixing boot problems. This post was helpful : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-in-automatic-repair-loop-get-log-file-... 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.