Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion 570-p054
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The hard drive failed on my Pavillion 570-p054 the other day and I couldn't find the back up copy, so I foolishly paid HP $40 + shipping for a recovery USB drive.    I have tested every single component inside the computer.   The new hard drive test perfect with Seagates software, the memory texts perfect with MemTest.   I've even gone as far as install a different hard driver and load a copy of Ubuntu Linux on it.    It works flawlessly.   Yet, every time I try to reinstall windows from the USB drive I PAID FOR it fails.  Not only does it fail but it fails at exactly the same place.    Creating a McAfee directory.   How do I go about sending this USB drive back and getting my money back?   Forget trying to call these people.   They're all  using the Covid-19 excuse.   Which at this point is just that, a pretty poor excuse.  

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Roadside-FL Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to perform the recovery.

In that case, I would suggets you contact our phone support and check for the support option. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

We are experiencing longer than expected wait times to reach an agent due to the CoViD-19 impact and there might have been issues in you getting the expected resolution on the issue. 

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response, but I am uninterested in spending days on the phone with your under staffed customer support.   I see from reading other posts in here that this seems to be a common issue with HP recovery USB drives sold to the public.    If I would have know that I wouldn't have purchased a known defective product from HP.   What I really wish to accomplish here is a phone number or an e mail address for a return of my money.   I will be more than happy to return the defective USB drive.   I have rights as a consumer.   I'm keeping very good records of all communications for a YouTube video I will be doing about the effectiveness and honesty of HP support.   How this video turns out will depend entirely on HP's communication skills and admitting they have a known problem (which I can prove from other posts that they do indeed) and addressing this problem in an expedient manner.  

The USB drive fails every time at the same place.   Making a folder for McAfee.  The problem is not a problem with the computer.   The memory tests perfect using MemTest.     The hard drive test perfect using SeaTools by Seagate.   The maker of the new hard drive I installed.   I was able to load a copy of Linux Ubuntu on the computer and it runs flawlessly, but I wish to sell the computer and it's difficult to sell with Linux installed.   That's the reason I purchased the defective USB recovery drive.  So I am very uninterested in doing hours of needless tests to diagnose a known issue with your defective product.  

HP Recommended

@Roadside-FL

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

HP Recommended

It's now July 14th and I've still not heard from anybody from HP about addressing this issue.  

HP Recommended

Today is July 16th and still no one has called back.    Is this is the level of customer service I can expect from HP? 

HP Recommended

It is now July 16th and still no one has contacted me about this issue.    Is this the level of customer support I can expect from HP in the future?  

HP Recommended

Today is July 16th and still non has contacted me about my issue with the USB recovery drive I purchased from HP.    The Covid-19 crutch being used by large companies to mask poor customer support is getting old and tired.    Can you give me some idea when I might expect someone from HP to get in contact with me about this issue?  Perhaps this year sometime?  

HP Recommended

Today is July 16th and still non has contacted me about my issue with the USB recovery drive I purchased from HP.    The Covid-19 crutch being used by large companies to mask poor customer support is getting old and tired.    Can you give me some idea when I might expect someone from HP to get in contact with me about this issue?  Perhaps this year sometime?  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.