Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Windows 10 will not start up and cannot be repaired using the Windows diagnostics/troubleshoot, and I do not have the original recovery disk. I have tried to retrieve the key using the command line, but to no avail.

1. On the command line I'm using the command wmic path Softwarelicensingservices get OA3xOriginalProductKey> in the Windows/system32 directory, but this does not work, nor does it work in other directories that seem possible.

Can someone point me to the correct directory and/or verify that the command I'm using is valid. (Some references have "c" in "licencing" instead of "s" "licensing". I've tried both.

2. How do I get this key from HP? I cannot find anywhere on the HP site where I can either retrieve the key or send a message or talk to someone who can provide it.

I seem to be hosed.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your PC came with W10 from HP, the product key should be in the BIOS of your PC's motherboard.

I suggest that you clean install W10 using the media creation tool to create bootable installation media, and if it asks to be activated, then HP installed the wrong motherboard in your PC (for a model that would have come with FreeDOS).

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Use the free utility that I zipped up and attached below to see if there is a Windows product key in your PC's BIOS.

This is a peer to peer forum, and no one here would be able to help you if your PC is missing the W10 product key.

I recommend that you e-mail the HP executive team at the link below and start from there.

Executive Team: CEO email | HP® Official Site

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your PC came with W10 from HP, the product key should be in the BIOS of your PC's motherboard.

I suggest that you clean install W10 using the media creation tool to create bootable installation media, and if it asks to be activated, then HP installed the wrong motherboard in your PC (for a model that would have come with FreeDOS).

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Use the free utility that I zipped up and attached below to see if there is a Windows product key in your PC's BIOS.

This is a peer to peer forum, and no one here would be able to help you if your PC is missing the W10 product key.

I recommend that you e-mail the HP executive team at the link below and start from there.

Executive Team: CEO email | HP® Official Site

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.