Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issue? Click here for tips and tricks.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-224
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computer makes strange beeping noises, there is no pattern. It has been happening for a while after I sent it to HP for some other issues, but then they sent it back and it started to make weird noises. I sent it to them again about a month ago for the beeping noises, and they sent it back but it still makes the beeping noises. 

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

When does it beep? 

Immediately after power-on?

After using it for 10 to 30 minutes?

Is there a pattern to the beeps, e.g., "high-low-high-low-high-low", or "short-short-short-long" (like Beethoven's 5th) ?

Can you feel air being exhausted from the back of the computer? None? Warm? Hot?

Your HP computer came with a HP Warranty.  Contact HP again, and get them to repair/replace it.

Windows has a built-in "Sound Recorder" application.  Connect a microphone, record the sound, and save the audio-file to your "Desktop", so that HP can listen to the audio-file, to hear what you are hearing.

HP Recommended

It beeps whenever the computer is on, immediately after turning it on it beeps. There is no pattern that I can recognize, and the warranty just ran out. The air is not cold, but it's not hot either.

HP Recommended

@Maverik wrote:

It beeps whenever the computer is on, immediately after turning it on it beeps.

There is no pattern that I can recognize, and the warranty just ran out. The air is not cold, but it's not hot either.

Turn the computer off.

Disconnect the AC power from the desktop, to expose the motherboard.

Look around, to identify the possible fans:

• inside the power-supply
  • inside the back panel
  • inside the front panel
  • on top of the heat-sink on top of the processor

Of the fans that exist and are accessible, try to spin the fan blades.

Any fan that does not spin freely is a problem.

Reconnect the AC power.

Power-on the computer, and immediately look at, but don't touch, the fans.

Any non-spinning fan is a problem.

Disconnect the AC power, to "rudely" power-off the computer.

Replace any non-spinning fan.

HP Recommended

I just took off the side of the computer, and the fans could all spin freely. Also, I turned the computer on while the side was off and the fans all seemed to spin normally. 

HP Recommended

>  I turned the computer on while the side was off and the fans all seemed to spin normally. 

Was it also "beeping", or not?

HP Recommended

When the computer was on, it was beeping. But when it was off, it wasn’t beeping.

HP Recommended

Turn the computer off.

Disconnect the AC power cord.

Hold-down the ON/OFF button for 10 seconds, to "drain" any residual power.

Look on the motherboard for the RAM sticks.

There are small "levers" at each end.

Push down on each lever, and the stick will come loose from its socket.

Remove all the sticks.

Put one of the sticks into the first socket, and push it firmly down.

Push the levers toward each other, to "lock" the stick in place.

Reconnect the AC power.

Turn the computer on.

Does it beep?

Does it beep steadily, like a metronome?

If it beeps, power-off the computer.

Disconnect the AC power, and "drain" again.

Remove that one stick, and try all the above with a different stick installed.

After trying all the sticks, one-by-one, try all the above, but in the second socket.

HP Recommended

There was only one ram stick, so I switched the socket it was in, and it beeped differently this time, it was a loud beep, but it still made the popping and other beeping sounds. So I switched it back and it still makes the popping and beeping sort of sounds.

HP Recommended

> There was only one RAM stick ...

Is it possible to borrow/scrounge/buy another stick of the same "generation" of RAM -- for example, if your current RAM is labelled "DDR3-12800", get a different stick (even as small capacity as 1 GB), to see if swapping-out the RAM makes a difference.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.