Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1439 Desktop PC

I did a system reset to clean the PC to be able to give it away to the neighbor boy and it did not reset. Should have done a backup but foolishly did not. Now I have a required drive partition is missing error. Don't have a disk for an install.  Bought this PC with Windows 8 and upgraded to Windows 10. No disk or product key. Any ideas besides buying Windows 10 install?

Thanks,

Luke

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

You can create W10 USB or DVD installation media at this site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

This will do a clean install after booting to this media and following prompts to install Windows.

Select I don't have a product key during the installation.

Windows should activate when connected to the internet because you have a digital license. You may have to sign in to your Microsoft account to activate the digital license.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi

You can create W10 USB or DVD installation media at this site: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 

This will do a clean install after booting to this media and following prompts to install Windows.

Select I don't have a product key during the installation.

Windows should activate when connected to the internet because you have a digital license. You may have to sign in to your Microsoft account to activate the digital license.

HP Recommended

Thank you. I will give it a go. I'll let you know how it goes.🙂

HP Recommended

Created a W10 flash drive install. Plugged it in and was at the point where it asked what I wanted to install with, chose usb hard drive and all it does on the screen is flash the HP logo every 4 seconds. Doesn't seem to be doing anything.

Thanks,

Luke

HP Recommended

Hi

My pleasure. The PC should boot to the W10 USB installation media since it seems you cannot load W10 now. There would be no other bootable drives except for the W10 USB media.

It sounds like you could have a hardware problem.

Start the PC. Tap the ESC key. Select F2 within the Start menu. Run component and system tests. This menu also provides access to the Boot Menu by selecting F9. Look for the bootable USB drive under UEFI boot options.

There could be a problem with the USB drive if it does not appear as a bootable UEFI drive. For example, you created the W10 USB media on a Legacy BIOS PC. Your PC is UEFI BIOS.

HP Recommended

When I saw that it wasn't working, I tapped the F11 key repeatedly, again, to get back to where I needed to choose something and because the flash drive was now in the computer, it showed that it was available. My bad. I assumed that it would find it the minute I put it in. Everything worked great. Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks,

Luke

HP Recommended

Hi Luke

My pleasure.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.