Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

so i was prompted to install an update on some driver took about 30 seconds. and when it got done it said my pc needed to restart which i did. when it got done my pc is now un useable. i can’t open any app or settings or anything. the search bar doesn’t work i can’t even power off without holding down the button. i had this happen before when i first got my pc a few weeks ago. same thing after an update would don’t work. i finally got it into safe mode and hard reset it losing everything. if there is a way to fix it without doing so again PLEASE HELP!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Zachmor -- try the following:

1. start with the computer powered-off.
  2. power-on the computer. 
  3. when you see the "spinner", hold-down the on/off button for 30 seconds, or until the computer powers off.
  4. repeat #2.
  5. repeat #3.
  6. repeat #2, but not #3.
  7. the Windows "Recovery Mode" should detect the two previous "fail-to-successfully-boot" events.
  8. one of the tools in this mode is "System Restore" -- run it to time-warp your computer back to a date/time when it was working.

QED

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Zachmor -- try the following:

1. start with the computer powered-off.
  2. power-on the computer. 
  3. when you see the "spinner", hold-down the on/off button for 30 seconds, or until the computer powers off.
  4. repeat #2.
  5. repeat #3.
  6. repeat #2, but not #3.
  7. the Windows "Recovery Mode" should detect the two previous "fail-to-successfully-boot" events.
  8. one of the tools in this mode is "System Restore" -- run it to time-warp your computer back to a date/time when it was working.

QED

HP Recommended

this did not work. still can’t use my pc 

HP Recommended

@Zachmor -- this did not work. still can’t use my pc 

I am not sure what "this" was that did not work. Can you please provide more detail? Which of the above steps "did not work" ?

There are other options within that "System Recovery" mode. Which of them have you tried?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.