Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
P6-2435ea
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My computers hard drive has been making a lot of noise of late(last 3 days) and when i went int this PC a new drive has appeared called System Z.

when i try and open it,it will not let me,but if i right click it,i can open the file and look at the properties via the security tab.Is this a rogue drive placed on my computer for some reason.

I have Mcafee running all the time and Malewearbytes so should be ok?

37 REPLIES 37
HP Recommended

Hi

It is a windows area for temporary storage of a new update, backup, recovery or diagnostics and since you are reporting other factors it would be best to ensure that you have Recovery Media and a Backup of your Data.

Run a full diagnostic if you can to avoid costly problems later on.

HP Recommended

Also true for me since 22 July.

Acess to the drive is 'not permitted'

It seems that this has happened since the last Windows update and has probably happened to thousands.

AlanGrant

HP Recommended

go into your control panel and click on network and internet then under internet options click on delete browsing history and cookies then under browsing history click settings make sure you have it on automatic and have 1024 MB in the box. click ok then restart your computer, this should get rid of the z drive.

HP Recommended

I would be VERY surprised ifthis works -- as this new "drive" is related to Windows Update and has nothing whatsoever to do with any Browsing activity or history.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Well, you may be surprised but it DID work. I am on Windows 8.1 and suddenly the Z system showed up as a drive. I cleared all my browsing history and retarted - Z System disappeared and has not come back. Perhaps you should not be so quick to judge?

HP Recommended

I am on Windows 8.1. This worked for me. I cleared all my browsing history and retarted - Z System disappeared and has not come back.

HP Recommended

>  reStarted - Z System disappeared and has not come back.

It was the "restart" (that interrupted an "in-progress" Windows Update) that deleted the RAM-disk

(a few megabytes of RAM "borrowed" to imitate a small disk-drive). Clearing the "browser-history" had no effect.

P.S. This question has already been "asked-and-answered" on this forum.

HP Recommended

Sorry to say but just a restart(or many) did not help at all for me.

HP Recommended

Original comments removed ... due to updated information.

It appears, that in some specific situations, this sudden appearance of a "Z drive" does cause some serious problems.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.