Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy TE01-1xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this problem occurs on many different brands of computers but here's MY story -

Since purchasing the HP Envy around Nov. 2020 for a colleague, there have been multiple Blue Screens - increasing to multiple Blue Screens per day. When I eventually got around to checking his Event Viewer, there were THOUSANDS of WHEA Logger Event 17s listed, coming in at a rate of hundreds an hour.

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Endpoint
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x2:0x0:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_C822&SUBSYS_85F7103C&REV_00

MSInfo32 reported conflicts/sharing errors involving PCI Express Root

In my hubris, I just proceeded to do what seemed reasonable:

• System File Checker
  • un/re-installed PCI Express Root and other device drivers
  • updated Windows 10 Pro to version 20H2, build 10.0.1.19042
  • updated anything HP Support Assistant suggested
  • updated BIOS to F23
  • update HP Firmware
  • clean reinstall of Windows with no retained settings.

The WHEA Logger Event 17s are still pouring in 100s per hour. No Blue Screens yet but they can't be far behind. 

Is this, in fact, a hardware issue and I shouldn't bother beating my head against the desk anymore?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can start the HP factory service option at this (Link).

Have you checked Device Manager in Control Panel? You might be able to uninstall or disable the device to see if the errors stop.

Regards

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi,

This is most likely a hardware problem (Link) or a possible driver problem. Run HP Diagnostics to check hardware.

Start the PC, tap "ESC", select "F2", run system and component tests.

The device refers to a Realtek PCIe wireless network adapter.

Look for a driver update at HP Support download site for the product, disable the device in the BIOS, or disconnect/replace the device if the hardware has failed.

Regards

HP Recommended

I really wanted this to be a driver problem! 

• ran all HP component and system tests. All passed
  • uninstalled PCI device (no option to disable in BIOS).  No change. Still 100s event 17s/hour

*sigh* 

So, as you say, likely hardware.

Sorry - I've never really done this before - what is/are the next step(s) to do to try and get some warranty work?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You can start the HP factory service option at this (Link).

Have you checked Device Manager in Control Panel? You might be able to uninstall or disable the device to see if the errors stop.

Regards

HP Recommended

Yeah, actually uninstall and reinstall multiple times! No change.

Thanks for the help. Followed the link to HP support and the packaging to pack up the computer is on its way. Done. For now. 

HP Recommended

I have the same exact machine with the same exact errors.   I hate starting over with a new machine again.   i have not blue screened, and if I never checked the event viewer, I’d never know about these errors.   I will probably just disable the PCIe wireless adapter and pray the errors go away.  If not, I will have to troubleshoot further.   THis issue has been ongoing for years already.   Why hasn’t it been resolved?  

HP Recommended

Oh, I hear you. Hate-hate-HATE this! The blue screens made it impossible to ignore, though. 

And Event Viewer is its own rabbit hole. I look after some other computers - all makes and models - and they ALL have scores of similar warnings. Just not at quite the same frequency level! 

HP Recommended

And like I said, this dates back to 2016 that I see.   I mean 5 years later and nothing has changed.   I thought it was hardware, the motherboard, drivers, updates, HP related stuff, but I have seen people complain mostly with laptops.  I happen to use a desktop because of business purposes.  I’m a court reporter and type transcripts.  Try doing that on a laptop.  It’s awful.   So, I finally gave up my old self constructed Vista Ultimate machine for this one.   It works great, but those errors and warnings are sickening.   I delete the system warnings daily.  Doesn’t fix it obviously.  

In fact, I have seen where people have returned or exchanged their equipment, only to get a new motherboard, all new hardware, and see the same WHEA errors appear again.   So, returning or exchanging is NOT the answer.   What a world!   I’m better off not knowing as much as I do.  I guess the average person would never even look at the Event Viewer or know what it is.   LOL.

HP Recommended

And you just saved me the time of trying to uninstall and reinstall the PCI or even disable it in the BOS.   I may just disable it in the Device Manager, and see if that makes any difference.   Not sure what it’s for, but you and I have the exact same error message.  I only use an Ethernet connection, no wireless for me.  And I do build all my own systems, until now.  An old court reporter who is also A+ certified.   Time to retire.   Nothing works right anymore anyways.

HP Recommended

Well, I decided to DISABLE the PCIe in the DEVICE MANAGER.   I only use Ethernet anyways. Well, that ended those WHEA events totally.   But now, what does that say about that Realtek Wireless device if I ever want to enable it and use a wireless connection?    

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.