Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After moving my computer from 1 desk to another, my old Envy 23 ran into Back System Config Info error. I went into Recovery Manager and tried everything I can think of to no avail. Startup Repair doesn't fix it. I can't boot into Safe Mode at all. I ran chkdsk and mdsched and found no error in HDD or RAM. System Restore to a previous point failed. I can't Uninstall any updates (though I don't think the 9-21 update is the problem). Reset my PC also failed. My Recovery Manager does not give me an option to Factory Reset or System Reset the system, like it described in HP's website. 

Any suggestions on next steps will be appreciated.

I am starting to think I'll grab my laptop and create a Windows Recovery USB stick again and just format the whole C: and reinstall. However I'm not sure whether that would work. I can't get the product key for my copy of Windows 10 (I checked wmic and it came back with an error msg), so I'm a little worried if I use a USB recovery stick image of Windows 10 and reinstall I can't get it activated. 

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you are willing and want to reinstall Windows 10, then it is fairly simple.  Assuming you do not have the Windows 10 install media, then here is how to make it.

If you need the install media for Windows 10, you can make it from this Microsoft download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"
and then follow the directions. You can make either the DVD or USB. Use this new media to install Windows 10.
When the install asks for the product key, click the "I don't have a product key" option to continue,
then the install will continue. It will be activated once it connects to the internet, as it uses a digital key.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

thanks. fingers crossed that you are right it uses a digital key. This Envy 23 is like 8 years old so I am a little worried

I don't need to worry about what version of Windows 10 the tool creates? like I'm assuming I need an OEM version

HP Recommended

there's actually 6 partitions in the HDD. Partition 1: Windows RE Tools, Partition 2: SYSTEM, Partition 3 MSR (Reserved), Partition 4 the largest one and the one I formatted, Partition 5 another Recovery, and Partition 6 OEM Recovery Image

I'm assuming I install Windows in Partition 4? or is there someway to get Partition 6 to boot so I can use the OEM Recovery Image?

HP Recommended

Actually I would try a repair, first.  Boot to the Windows media made in the post above, except pick "Repair your computer" and see if it can make the old install usable.  If that does not succeed, then do an install using that same media.  Pick custom install and then delete all the partitions and format the drive and then let it proceed.

I am assuming that Windows 10 was not on the drive from the factory, so let Windows wipe out everything and start clean.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.