Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 690-0039
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a question that I cant seem to find a precise answer to nowhere. I have a HP Pavilion 690-0039 that came with a 256GB SSD that had Windows installed on it, and a 1TB HDD (Labeled DATA) that has a recovery partition on it that was already there initially(this partition on the DATA drive is labeled RECOVERY).

I want to upgrade the SSD and reinstall Windows on it. I read that the way to do this is using the HP recovery manager and doing a factory reset.

However, I want to know what does the factory reset erase exactly; I know it will wipe the SSD, but will it also wipe the 1TB HDD and re-create a recovery partition on it? or does it just re-create the recovery partition on the DATA drive without erasing any other data?

I have a lot of data on this DATA drive that I dont want to loose and backing it up will take a long time, so if the factory reset does not wipe the whole drive, it would save me from backing it up.

I was also thinking what if I just unplug the 1TB HDD before doing the factory reset? Can the factory reset still work without the 1TB HDD plugged in?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Dragonbax 

Factory reset will bring your machine back to the time you opening the box. That means it will delete everything on C: drive and rebuild your machine back to it original (not 100%, some apps may not available).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@Banhien

I know it will erase the C: drive, but what about the (D :)(DATA) drive(being the 1 TB HDD) that was also originally there along with the C:(SSD) drive? Will it wipe/erase the (D :)drive as well and re-create a recovery partition on it? Or it only format the SSD(C:  )drive?

thank you

HP Recommended

Hello
we cannot tell you that this is without problem, without risk, it would be a serious mistake
In addition, it may be impossible to use the recovery partition to install windows to the new SSD.
you should instead either use a disk image or install from microsoft media
To avoid erasing the HDD, disconnect it before installing windows

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.