Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion All-in-One - 23-q113w

I rebooted my commputer last night after attempting to download a VLS media player. It rebooted to a blue screen with "Choose keyboard layout". I click US and it sends me to Troubleshoot. NOne of the troubleshoot options work. I have tried booting off a USB drive.... my back-up hard drive.... I've followed forum suggetions on how to fix this problem via computer prompt but always, not matter what prompt sequence I try, I eventually get an access denied along the way. I finally tried to return to factory settings. It starts the process but eventually restarts and when it does, I'm back to square one with the "Choose keyboard layout". I can'rt get to safe mode. Any suggestions? I have a backup on a hard drive but the computer won't read it... 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ed19617 The only other way out of this situation is to perform a system reset, here's what you'll need to do: Click here for details.

And if this doesn't do the trick, do you have an HP recovery media? If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Ed19617 That could be annoying, I totally understand what you mean, here's a few steps that should help:

• Let's restart the computer and tap on F11 during the same to enter recovery mode, choose the keyboard layout, choose Troubleshoot.
    1. Click Advanced Options and open Command Prompt.
    2. In the Command Prompt type the following command:
      For 32-bit Windows: dism.exe /image:c:\\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~16299.248.1.17
      For 64-bit Windows: dism.exe /image:c:\\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~16299.248.1.17
      IMPORTANT: 
      Change C: with the appopriate drive letter, if Windows is located in other directory, not in C: drive.
    3. Close Command Prompt.
    4. Click Continue to close the Windows Recovery Environment.
    5. Restart the computer and install available Windows updates. Navigate to Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Check for updates.

If the issue persists, try the below steps:

1. Restart the PC again, tap F11 during a restart and Select the Recovery Menu > back to Troubleshoot.
  2. Now under Advanced Options menu, select Command Prompt.
  3. Copy and paste the following commands in the Command Prompt window and press Enter:

chkdsk c: /f
    bootrec /fixmbr
    bootrec /fixboot
    bootrec /rebuildbcd
    bcdboot c:\\windows /s c:

4. When Command Prompt executes all the commands, reboot your PC and check if they fixed the “Choose your keyboard layout” error.
  5. In case this method did not work, you can try boot into Safe Mode with Networking:

6. Reboot Windows several times in a row. Failed reboots will start an Automatic Repair.
  7. In the Automatic Repair Window, select Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options.
  8. Then open Startup Settings and click Restart.
  9. Now click F5 or 5 to access Safe Mode with Networking.
  10. Once you access the desktop, right-click on Windows key and select Device Manager.
  11. Check each category of drivers to find out if any of them are malfunctioning. Problematic drives are usually marked with a yellow exclamation mark.
  12. If none of them are labeled as outdated or corrupted, then we would strongly recommend updating all Universal Serial Bus controllers.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Thanks for the reply...

These are two of the steps I have tried....

Step one gets an error: 1639

Step 2... after bootrec/fixboot... I get access denied and the rest doesn't work

And no matter how many times I quick reboot... the keyboard layout always comes back. No matter what I try... I can't get safe mode to activate

Thanks for the suggestions though.
HP Recommended

@Ed19617 The only other way out of this situation is to perform a system reset, here's what you'll need to do: Click here for details.

And if this doesn't do the trick, do you have an HP recovery media? If you don't have an HP Recovery media and have attempted reset using the windows troubleshooter or a retail copy of windows, you'll need to order a recovery media: Click here for steps.

Or you may also attempt to download the same using the steps on this link: click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you, sir. It didn't work from a USB drive with a website downlaod.... but I found an actual Windows 10 stick and that worked via the USB port.

I appreciate all your efforts. Now the long process of getting my data back off an external drive and everything into the correct folders...

Ed

HP Recommended

@Ed19617 Data recovery is the longest process no doubt, good luck with that,

And I'm glad its been sorted, let us know if you need anything else, 

Have a good day, stay well.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.