Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows XP

Have dc7600 SFF, manufactures 2005, long out of warranty.  Product number AF850AW.  Already have spec (from CNET) but no mention on 32 or 64 bit.  No way to tell from casing or labels, how does pone tel please?  Inherited this Desktop, plus 2 x NEC monitors, free of charge; only in 2019 did I set it up.  PC currently  under repair, the DIMMs playing up as No Signal on monitor, and warning light amber-flashes in sets of 5.  Plan to upgrade to Windows 7, then to Windows 10.  Desktop previously owned by a UK bank, all data removed, the ONLY app is Adobe Photoshop, and not worried if THAT has to be removed for the upgrades.  No private data or files input either.   Would ownership by a bank suggest 64-bit?  Or, as it's older technology and limited in processor capacity, am I safer assuming upgrade to Windows 10, and possibly even to Windows 7, done with the 32-bit upgrade?  Will also  be purchasing Microsoft CoA, thus far I've no legal right to internet use.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I took another look at the HP partsurfer, list and there is no mention of what operating system was installed.

I once had a dc7600 many years ago and liked it a lot.

I never got to try W10 on it, as I had given the PC away before W10 came out.

I did run W7 x64 on my dc7600, and it originally came with XP 32 bit.  I still have the HP recovery disk set for it.

I believe there are some folks on this forum that have successfully upgraded their dc7600's to W10.

The oldest HP business desktop PC I now have in my stable is a dc7800 CMT, which is running the latest version of W10 Pro 64 bit.

I am reluctant to part with it since it still runs great--especially with the 8 GB of memory, graphics card, and solid state drive I installed in it a few years ago.

View solution in original post

75 REPLIES 75
HP Recommended

Specs, from CNET, although for the Product Number AF853AW, closest I got to my AF850AW: Intel Pentium 4, 3.2 GHz Intel 945G Express, CNET does state Yes against 64-bit.  Hard drive 80 GB.  Many thanks for any assist.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I do not believe any of the dc7600 PC's came from HP with WXP Pro 64 bit.  They were all 32 bit OS'.

You can install a 64 bit OS on there but only if your PC has a certain variety of P4 processor.

The Pentium 4 5xx series processors are 32 bit, and the Pentium 4 6xx processors are 64 bit.

Here is the parts list...

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=AF850AW

Unfortunately, the parts list does not indicate the specific processor that was installed in your PC.

It could have been any one of those.

The 5 beep memory error...

Remove and firmly reseat the memory modules.

If the beeping continues, remove all but one of the memory modules and test them one at a time in the primary memory slot (the one closest to the processor).

HP Recommended

Huge thanks Paul!  Re the amber flashing beeps, AFTER I deposited desktop for repair, I also located cause of said beeps, and took copy of troubleshooting manual to USB.  Cause is DIMMs and/or one or more defective DIMMS.  Back in September 2019, had to change exhausted battery.  Nothing else came out, but presumably the physical effort did dislodge one or more DIMMs.  Am hoping IT technician confirms what we 2 believe.  I'll now try establish, from your Processor mention, if 32-bit or 64-bit applies to my dc7600 SFF.

HP Recommended

Hi again Paul, am now onto your first topic: 32 or 64-bit OS.  Found online useful article from www.also.com which looks like a share of an HP Specification for dc7600, have also USB saved this. 

also.com/pub/dc7600.pdf

The above article was dated 26 May 2005.  Had to manually type it as unable to both copy and cut it.

My Processors are P4-630, hence my desktop is already 64-bit or can support 64-bit in the upgrade to Windows 7.  From the 'Quickspecs' article, it implies (although not actually stated) that it's 64-bit WXP Professional.  My Product # is AF850AW,  Back or base of chassis has date 26 October 2005 stamped in purple, presume the release date.  The Product # I previously cited, AF853AW, is a slightly later model, with Pentium 4-640 and 32 GHz speed,  So the 26 May 2005 Spec covers my desktop, and the AF853AW, and latter specification turns out as good proxy for mine.  I'm hoping my IT repair chap will give insight on 32- or 64-bit OS...he has to phone me should any new parts be needed.  Fortunately, i took many photos of both outside and inside chassis hence can still meaningfully converse WITH NO dc7600 at home!!

Finally, I did click on your partssurfer link, but Norton 360 stated Not secure so abandoned it.

Huge thanks again for your insight.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I took another look at the HP partsurfer, list and there is no mention of what operating system was installed.

I once had a dc7600 many years ago and liked it a lot.

I never got to try W10 on it, as I had given the PC away before W10 came out.

I did run W7 x64 on my dc7600, and it originally came with XP 32 bit.  I still have the HP recovery disk set for it.

I believe there are some folks on this forum that have successfully upgraded their dc7600's to W10.

The oldest HP business desktop PC I now have in my stable is a dc7800 CMT, which is running the latest version of W10 Pro 64 bit.

I am reluctant to part with it since it still runs great--especially with the 8 GB of memory, graphics card, and solid state drive I installed in it a few years ago.

HP Recommended

Good morning Paul, and have a great day!  Am almost there now.  My dc7600 is probably 64-bit XP Professional, that would make sense for a British bank (Barclays),  My Model # is dc7600s/P4-630/80hnc/512K/4, so am OK on Processor speed.  RAM is only 512MB, but K means Dual Channel, hence i presume 2 x 512 MB.  From your earlier advice (in 2017 and in 2019) to 2 members with very similar question  (What is maximum I can increase RAM to?  Answer: the max is 4MB): I too will need 4 GB of PC2- 800 memory modules.  Have located website stocking  DMS memory increases,  about 10$ per per GB.  Hardly expensive (my labour charge is £10 GBP, about $80) and new parts probably needed anyway.

Minimum graphics is Direct X9 device with WDDM1 or 1.0 or better ( I have no idea what that means but came from a PC World article).  Unable to tell what graphics level I have, as the Quickspecs pdf uses different terms.  Amazon UK has HP graphics cards, typically £200 and above = £260.  Can probably obtain cheaper brands.  KEY result: graphics cards exist to increase dc7600 graphics capability.

You're very correct, some of the Community members HAVE successfully upgraded their dc7600s to Windows 10, and the later their models the better.  With MINE, it's just through the minimum entry requirement (or can be made so with new parts).  It's too good an opportunity.  By sheer chance, I inherited, free, a business quality desktop that looks up-gradable to W10,   It may have to be to 32-bit, but it's all doable, and processing speed may not be too different between 32 and 64-bit.   My Toshiba laptop, consumer grade of course, has clock speed of just 1.65 GHz, so my dc7600 is twice that already.  For say £200 or even £300 on parts, it'd still be  LESS than a business grade laptop, and LESS than an upmarket W10 laptop, or comparable after all the Microsoft  charges.  

To have an HP 7600 running W10 for say £600 = $780 all-included is a very good end price!  Too good to miss! Will mention I need it to W10, and state these enhancements when IT technician phones.  

I'll keep Community appraised.  Hope to get result, and hope to recommend others try it.

HP Recommended

Good afternoon:

If you want a graphics card, you have to buy a legacy one.

I don't know what performance range you are looking at, but since you have the small form factor, the 's' in dc7600s denotes that, the power supply is only 240W and cannot be upgraded.

I recommend a AMD Radeon HD 6450 for your model.

Since I had the CMT with a 365W power supply, I tested the more powerful Radeon HD 6570 and it worked fine.

So, I would assume the HD 6450 would work in the SFF since it draws less than 30W of power, and has native driver support for W10 (W10 will install the graphics driver automatically).

Please post back and let us know how your PC upgrade project went.

HP Recommended

It's already mid-evening in UK , so a very good afternoon Paul!  

Good news today: local IT store text: dc7600 expected back from repairer Sunday 12 January.  I texted back my needs for upgrade to W10, but Server Error was the response!  However, can call in again, and talk through my needs, pay for parts in advance or later, no worries.

As i don't know difference between a graphics card and the RAM required for W10 I mentioned both.   Not a gamer  so don't need fast performance., I gather W10 Home  comes with Direct 12 (or even higher).  Indeed,  I rarely watch YouTube music videos, & THAT is the fastest processing I need.  So reckoned £200 for a graphics card more than sufficient.  My Toshiba L7500 laptop (consumer grade only) has Radeon HD 6320 graphics (2011 manufacture), so the HD 6450 am certain will work like a dream.

Today, considering the DIRECT upgrade from WXP to W10, as no files or data on machine.  I think BIOS has to be reset.  I WILL lose Adobe Photoshop, but would not have time even to experiment with it.  PLUS, Microsoft has similar: Toshiba has Adobe Photoshop Express (to correct haze. redeye etc on one's photos).  Direct upgrade would also save on expense, as only ONE Microsoft purchase needed....Have saved to my Amazon UK account 3 or 4 Upgrade WXP to W7 CDs, and these are about £160 each.  The DIRECT upgrade is slightly LESS than the Amazon prices.

Will know state of dc760 next Sunday,hence why (before then) revisit local retailer to input my needed PC enhancements.  Retailer also able to perform the upgrade to W10 for me.  And advise if DIRECT upgrade too risky.  Am certain can get there & even an all-in cost of £600 a good investment!

Hope to post positive news in a week or so,hope to encourage any others to try similar 'restorations' or 'modernisations'.

HP Recommended

Good evening!

Yes, it is 16:10 here in Illinois, USA.

I hope that you have success in upgrading your PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.