Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Elite HPE-500f Desktop PC

Problem:   Old unit came~W7 installed...been thru dozens W7+W10 updates.

Too old/underpowered to install W11.  Always set to "auto-updates".

Very few taskbar icons work anymore, whether left or right click

(Start,Settings, Audio, Files, HP MediaSmart, Task Manager/View,

Weather/Time, Search, HP Setup Manager, printer) ANY thing listed

under "Start" not set to "Taskbar".  (can access Edge & "My Norton").

Reason:  (as per YouTube video experts [self-professed] and MS experts)   

"With 'auto-update' turned "ON", and not monitored or requesting your

permission before installing new updates; the last 2 most recent ones

served as 'bridges' to those ready to upgrade to Windows 11. 

Since your system is woefully below this capability, it  malfunctioned".

Really?!?  So....what can I do?    "Screwed" (really)...."Buy new"....all across

the spectrum to..."Just go in, turn OFF auto-update, uninstall (at least)

last two updates, then.....oh yeah, sorry; you can't get to Settings??

Well, too bad".  Even told "Totally wipe entire system, reinstall W10

(with OUT auto-update) then reinstall....".   Adding: "Wait, you might

possibly have to start first  reinstalling Windows 7 then Windows10;

although no idea even IF Windows 7 is still available...maybe a friend

or neighbor still has an old Windows 7 disc...".

As I have NO opinion (techno-inept) or ideas/suggestions (only idiots try to out-teach Experts);

which is why I provide issue, shut-up, listen & learn....so HP Experts...start throwing snowballs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you previously upgraded your PC to W10 and are having several issues with it, you may want to opt for a clean install of W10.

You do not have to install W7 first and then upgrade to W10.

If you have your files backed up, make a bootable USB installer with the Media creation tool from the link below.

Make the 64-bit installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After the media is created, boot from it.

After you click on the Install Now screen, you will be given an option as to what version of W10 you want to install.

Select the version of W10 you had upgraded to from W7 (Home or Pro).

Then you will be asked to enter a product key.

Select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

Then when it asks, 'Where do you want to install Windows?,' that is where I delete every partition on the hard drive (if I didn't create any separate partitions to install files on).

I leave just one partition of unallocated space.

Click next, and W10 will install and automatically activate after you are connected to the internet.

If you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2.

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you previously upgraded your PC to W10 and are having several issues with it, you may want to opt for a clean install of W10.

You do not have to install W7 first and then upgrade to W10.

If you have your files backed up, make a bootable USB installer with the Media creation tool from the link below.

Make the 64-bit installation media.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

After the media is created, boot from it.

After you click on the Install Now screen, you will be given an option as to what version of W10 you want to install.

Select the version of W10 you had upgraded to from W7 (Home or Pro).

Then you will be asked to enter a product key.

Select the 'I don't have a product key' option.

Then when it asks, 'Where do you want to install Windows?,' that is where I delete every partition on the hard drive (if I didn't create any separate partitions to install files on).

I leave just one partition of unallocated space.

Click next, and W10 will install and automatically activate after you are connected to the internet.

If you are interested in installing W11 on your PC as is, you can read this discussion for how I upgraded several HP and Dell notebook and desktop PC's that did not meet the W11 hardware requirements to W11 22H2.

Re: Issues upgrading to windows 11 - HP Support Community - 8517912

HP Recommended

VERY succinct Paul, likely doable...by non-butter-fingered techno-inept nervous nellies like me.

Messing with my computers 'innards' is beyond my mental capacity (and sadly, prior experience).

I'd rather tell my wife of 35 years her butt is HUGE!!  😄   Phrases like "...delete every partition(?) 

on the hard drive..." causes anxiety & sweaty armpits just reading it 😱.  Won't I lose everything?

Do appreciate your success at 'speaking 3rd grade' for me (really!) but this task, if EVER attempted;

will wait until I finally get fed-up waiting for my new desktop choice picks to drop & throw the dice.

(also, thanks for trick for W11but that's one of several excuses I'm making for buying a new pc  :Wink:).

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

Can I push my luck and trouble you for one more (only slightly related) query?   

...Opinion?   ....Quest for knowledge?

NOT a gamer (yet) in fact last game played was PONG!!  And that was ONLY

because it was new in the clubs and "Hey, wanna pong" was actually a line.

But my teenaged grandson's got (and I helped build...well I did research) a

nasty rig...so he never comes over for weekends or stays over holidays

(like Thanksgiving) since he's gotta get home to his rig, team, chair/cage.

Sooooo, don't need Threadripper, but I'd like to have just enough for him

to put-up with my rig for an overnight/weekend.  But maybe I'll start........

Sorry; so what are your opinions on these components for outline of a new

pre-built desktop?  Also concerned with 'future-proofing' & stellar graphics:

Intel i7-12700/F (or 'settle' for i5-12600KF?) + 512gb-1tb SSD + 16gb (2x8)

DDR4-3200 + Wifi6-aX + 500-600W Gold psu + Nvidea 360 (maybe even Ti!!).

HP Recommended

Hi:

I'd like to help you, but souping up PC's is not my area of expertise. 

I recommend that you copy and paste what you just wrote and start a new topic. 

I only use PCs for web surfing and emailing, so I have never kept abreast of what's out there. 

My newest PC has an i7-7700 processor and a 250 W power supply. 

Yes, I remember pong. I wasn't that good at it in the bars  I liked that mechanical bowling game.  Wish I had one in the basement. 😀

HP Recommended

1.  Thanks...did cut-n-paste (with minor editing) to "Desktop Hardware etc"

2.  MOSTLY do same, but originally thought my ole dog was nearly good enough

with "email/stream/surf" tasks (just old, so new Integrateds gotta be better)

THEN discoveredole dog DOES have Dedicated gpu after all...AND it rates just

barely worse than current Integrated offerings on benchmark/comparo sites!!

3.  Ha, those specs are identical to my wife's laptop...a tad too 'weak' for W11.

4.  You may be old, but still younger than me...those bowling games actually

showed up AFTER my time (meaning, weren't in the bars until long AFTER

Grandma stuck a ring in my nos...err, I meant ring on my finger).  😉  Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.