Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
envy desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm getting a new Envy desktop and need to transfer all my stuff from an old desktop. What's the best way to do it.

I have a Windows 10 backup image on an external drive

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@freewheeljay -- programs that have been "installed" on your computer have inserted their "fingers" in many places on your "C:" drive-letter. It is impossible to "undo" all those changes.  Instead, reinstall the program(s) on the new computer.

There are several ways to move your personal files. A few:

1. link both computers to either the Apple "cloud" or the Microsoft "cloud".

Copy all your files to the cloud, and copy from the cloud onto the new computer.

2. with both computers connected to the same cable-modem/router, "share" your Documents folder on the old computer, and access that shared-folder from the new computer, and copy the files onto the new computer.

3. backup to either a large-capacity USB memory-stick, or to an external disk-drive, and then move this media to the new computer, and copy all the files from the media.

HP Recommended

@freewheeljay 

The answer is simple -- get the software needed to do this!  I have done this numerous times and it works about 90% of the time, leaving only a few items you have to do manually.

The two apps are LapLink PC Mover Pro and EaseUS ToDo PC Transfer.  Both cost money (about $50 USD). both do the same thing, but the second tends to have a friendlier interface -- so I prefer using it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I've been using Windows Backup to an external hard drive.

Is there a way to move the backup disk to the new computer and do a 'file restore'?

If so, is there a good reference to guide through this?

HP Recommended

@freewheeljay 

From what I recall, Windows Backup does not migrate apps, only data and/or settings.

I do not use it for that reason -- so I can provide no help in using it.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

@freewheeljay -- Is there a way to move the backup disk to the new computer and do a 'file restore'?

Yes. Just connect the backup drive to the new computer, and run Windows Backup & Restore program.

Note that the program will restore everything from the backup -- there is no way to select to restore any specific files & folders, except by restoring "everything", and then selectively copying some files/folders.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the 'restore' information.

My existing computer has one 2Tb hard drive.

The new one has one 1Tb SSD and one 1Tb hard drive.

My largest library folder is Videos.

If I try to do a restore the existing Video folder will not fit on the 1Tb SSD if Documents, Pictures, etc. are transferred there.

How do I tell the Restore function to transfer (just) my Videos to the new 1Tb SSd?

HP Recommended

@freewheeljay -- How do I tell the Restore function to transfer (just) my Videos to the new 1Tb SSD?

The Windows "restore" program restores everything that your backed-up.  It is fairly "brain-dead" in that area.

You need to do another backup, and be selective -- choose only the folder that contains your videos.

Then, the "restore" utility can only restore those files/folders.

Consider doing the "restore" to the 1 TB  hard-drive, not to the 1 TB SSD.

You do not need "high-speed" access to all those files.

If you "play" one file, your computer can easily read one file at high-speed, and slowly -- real-time -- display the video on your computer.

Then, do another selective backup, choosing all the folders OTHER than the "video" folder.

Then, restore that backup to your SSD.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

How about this scenario:

I understand you can move the Videos library to a disk other than the C: drive.

If I move it there (on the new computer) and do a restore ALL, will the restore program

simply copy the C:  version of videos from the old computer to the 😧 version of videos

on the new? Will it ignore how I set up the new computer's Videos library and recreate it on the C: drive?

See how to redefine the Videos library disc:
 https://www.pcworld.com/article/442965/move-your-libraries-to-a-second-drive-or-partition.html

HP Recommended

@freewheeljay --  understand you can move the Videos library to a disk other than the C: drive.

Yes, if you have backed-up ONLY the "Videos" folder to external storage, you can restore that folder to your second disk-drive -- the "non-SSD" device.

> If I move it there (on the new computer) and do a restore ALL, will the restore program

simply copy the C:  version of videos from the old computer to the  version of videos on the new?

Yes, the "ALL" option will restore all the files/folders that exist within the backup.

But, since the only files/folders within the backup are a copy of your "Videos" folder, that is all that can be copied onto the "non-SSD" device.

> Will it ignore how I set up the new computer's Videos library and recreate it on the C: drive?

No, it should not do that.

You should have the option to choose the "non-SSD" disk-drive as the target of the "restore" option.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.