Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP p7654y
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all,

With the new Windows update it keeps failing to install Windows Tech's have tried everything including a clean install, contacted foxconn about a bios update for the motherboard but haven't heard anything back yet. Foxconn 2AB1 using American megatrends 6.04 972010 AMD Athalon II 4 X 640 processor 3.0Mhz any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi TogUnk,

You're very welcome.

The files you need may still be on the disk and should be accessible. This may not be true if Windows 10 Setup reformatted and partitioned the HDD. The files may still be there but they are now not readily accessible.

Can you pull the HDD? Connect this disk to a different PC as a data drive. Or you can get a SATA/USB HDD caddy which you can use to connect this HDD to a different PC using SATA. You can see what is happening with respect to data retrieval.

I did not think you were concerned about data on the HDD because your first post stated a tech had previously tried a clean install. My assumption would have been you had backed everything up prior to trying a clean installation of Windows.

Regards

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

I can't find the HP product number you have provided. I can guess the age of your system; your Athlon processor was released for sale in May, 2010.

Only HP can provide BIOS updates for your PC. HP only issues BIOS updates at the beginning of the product's life cycle.

My guess is your PC has hit the end of the Windows 10 update road. 

I would go back to W7. This operating system will be supported by Microsoft until January 2020. You can also reinstall the last W10 version that works or reimage the system if you made OS backups on external media. But you would need to have created either media after you successfully updated to that version of Windows 10.

January 2020 may be time to buy a new HP PC or switch to Linux.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the quick reply and sorry for my mistake it's a HP p6754y I had a stroke and only have half a brain left. So mistakes are common now I know it's a dinosaur but it still runs great well except for this upgrade ruining it it was zero hardware or component issues since I got it best computer I have ever had untill this latest automatic Windows 10 update now I guess it's just an expensive brick.

but thanks for trying to help!

HP Recommended

Hi TogUnk,

You're very welcome.

Your PC can still run the factory operating system. It is not yet an expensive 'brick".

Did you make HP Windows 7 recovery media? You could use this media to go back to the HP Windows 7 operating system installed on your PC at purchase.

It will be a little more difficult to reinstall Windows 7 clean, it can be done, if you don't have HP factory recovery media.

You can get Windows 7 HP recovery media for your PC at Computer Surgeons (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

Hi Grzwacz

Yeah I have all of that I can take it back to factory condition, I was pretty good about keeping up with all of the back ups and stuff before the stroke I even have a trend micro rescue disk I made in Windows 10, backed up all important photos and docs to cloud storage, except my tax forms and banking info for past five years which I really hate losing, but can't find rescue disk (trend micro), put it some place "safe" before stroke and haven't found it yet hoping the tools on it might get me loaded back to a Windows ten desktop that I can save my files into a flash drive or something. The issue right now keeping me from my desktop is that when I boot it goes into win 10 automatic repair puts up a blue screen with chose your language with English circled but zero mouse or keyboard support drivers and my keyboard and mouse are usb2 driven which come to think about it might explain the need for the bios update in the first place ( running the win7 save disk i have loads drivers I need for keyboard and mouse shows me win10 as a OS with no other options except factory reset) well besides all the tools to go to command prompt and go to old win7 image which win 10 removed. I even still have my Hp diagnostic disk which I ran shows everything is perfect with pc. So I will hold off on factory reset for a while and keep looking for my trend micro rescue disk as I have time before taxes are due. Again Thank You for the reply and the help! Just trying for the best option before factory reset right now and I'll be ok I am a veteran so I know how to roll with the flow!

HP Recommended

Hi TogUnk,

You're very welcome.

The files you need may still be on the disk and should be accessible. This may not be true if Windows 10 Setup reformatted and partitioned the HDD. The files may still be there but they are now not readily accessible.

Can you pull the HDD? Connect this disk to a different PC as a data drive. Or you can get a SATA/USB HDD caddy which you can use to connect this HDD to a different PC using SATA. You can see what is happening with respect to data retrieval.

I did not think you were concerned about data on the HDD because your first post stated a tech had previously tried a clean install. My assumption would have been you had backed everything up prior to trying a clean installation of Windows.

Regards

HP Recommended

Hey Grzwacz,

Yeah I can pull the bed I have a usb sata caddie and can check it or pull my files that way just a royal pain in the you know what with my left side compromised all pins and needles if I can't find my rescue disk I will do that. Windows 10 apparently let's you keep all personal files and apps when you clean install as the tech installed a  iso copy of Windows 10 on my hard drive a 4.5 Gb file but Windows installation failed at 61% then again at 59%  then the autoreapair started at boot which lead me here. But it's all good Thanks for helping me !!!

HP Recommended

Hi TogUnk,

You're very welcome.

Sorry to hear you are not feeling well.

Have you tried booting to W10 installation media to attempt a manual repair of the MBR?

I am fuzzy if the W10 installation completely failed or this action succeeded but Windows boots to the troubleshooting environment.

Try an offline MBR repair. 

Go here (Link). Download and run the W10 media creation tool on a working PC to create bootable W10 installation media for your specific factory installed OS (most likely W10 Home). Select W10, 64 bit.

Create DVD  installation media.

Boot to this media. Then follow steps at this site (Link).

Regards

HP Recommended

Hey Grzwacz,

Thank you for the link! That looks like it may just be THE best solution to my recovery! I do have a Windows 10 home OS 64 bit but th r only other working pc I have is a gateway laptop no burner and my kindle fire tab which I am using to write this. But maybe I can get someone at Wal-Mart or Staples to go to the link you provided and burn me a Windows 10 recovery \rescue disk! Thank you so much !!!!! You Sir Are Awesome !!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi TogUnk,

You're very welcome.

Always happy to help a Vet!

The other W10, 64 bit, installation DVD you have should work on your PC. It will be fine as long as it is not a OEM branded factory recovery/installation disc.

Try the disc you have. Older PCs can't boot to USB. Can you boot to USB on this PC? Create W10 USB media if you can boot using USB.

Insert the W10 disc in your HP DVD while the system is on. Shut down the system. Restart.

Tap "ESC". This should get you to the Boot Menu. Getting to the Boot Menu may be different on your PC due to it's age.

Select the DVD drive to boot to the W10 Setup program.

Select "Repair". Then try MBR repair instructions at the link in previous post.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.