Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

No panic here but I would be grateful for a few pointers if anyone has the time to help.

Firstly, I was persuaded, by Microsoft, to switch from Windows 8 to Windows 10.   Whether it is an improvement is a matter of opinion.   Windows 10 has made some of my existing stuff virtually unobtainable.  My spare printer (sorry, but it is an Epson, used for emergencies only) no longer functions whilst many of my files which were produced with Microsoft  Works are no longer accessible.   Any tips would be much appreciated.

Secondly, Windows 10 has added Edge as a browser but it is mostly less helpful than  IE.   For instance, I use Roboform which is very handy for completing forms but it doesn't appear to work with Edge.   I can bring up IE easily enough, of course, but how can I stop Edge from intruding?  Can I somehow make IE my default browser?

Thirdly, although Iknow it is Windows 10 which is running, when I boot up I see the new blue window with the Welcome greeting but it states that I am using Windows 7 (which I left some years back) and I understand that some of my emal recipients are shown that I, the sender,  appear to be named as "Windows 7".   Crazy, eh?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @BrianJoyce,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! I understand you have question about Windows 10 . I will be glad to help you.

Please post the full product number of your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I can not comment on 3rd party products, your printer, but try going to there support site see if there are driver for Windows 10.  if not connect the usb, windows has a lot of default drivers.

as for setting the default browser please look at  Using Microsoft Edge Browser (Windows 10).  There is a lot of information about Edge and browser settings.

The windows 7 screen at startup just a matter of change settings. please look at Get Started with Windows 10

Please get back to me with above information, so I can help you better.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @BrianJoyce,

Welcome back to the HP Support Forums! I understand you have question about Windows 10 . I will be glad to help you.

Please post the full product number of your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.
How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I can not comment on 3rd party products, your printer, but try going to there support site see if there are driver for Windows 10.  if not connect the usb, windows has a lot of default drivers.

as for setting the default browser please look at  Using Microsoft Edge Browser (Windows 10).  There is a lot of information about Edge and browser settings.

The windows 7 screen at startup just a matter of change settings. please look at Get Started with Windows 10

Please get back to me with above information, so I can help you better.

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply but I think that, after some advice from your colleague, I have got as far as I am likely to get with this.   My Pc is a Compaq but that probably has no bearing here.

I could not find the help I needed to change 7 into 10 via Get Started with Windows 10  but it's a small point and not worth spending time on.   Ditto re the apparent signature in emails.

I do appreciate your point about not wanting to be involved with such as Epson and, again , it's a small point because that printer is only kept as a stand-by in case of need when, for instance, my HP printer unexpectedly runs out of ink.    Epson themselves say that they have no driver for this 'old' model.   I'm just sorry to see a small pile of unused ink cartridges becoming pointless.

However, thanks again.   This HP location has been very helpful with sorting out problems in the past si I shall, no doubt, be back again before long, computer tyro that I am.

Brian

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.