Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have used my SimpleSave disc for several years now.

But after I installed Windows 10(64) it is very quickly filling up.

Most of the disc is now filled up with "FileHistory".

How can I get rid of that? I need my own files only that is documents and Pictures.

SAKUP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I did not recommend you delete anything because I have no way of knowing what you have setup on your system.

But since you so kindly asked, I will have to take a "guess".

My guess is you have Windows 10 File history turned on. File history prefers an external drive to save Libraries, Desktop, Contacts and Favorites. Are the file history files large?

Windows File history can be accessed from Control Panel>File History. There you can turn it off.

Next, create some new files to be sure SimpleSave is actually saving your new files.

If SimpleSave is working, you don't need to keep File History.

IF not, then you will need to continue using File History.

If File History is not turned on, then I have no way of knowing what your particluar files are. You could save them elsewhere, then delete those on the external drive to see if it breaks anything.

BTW: I am surprised to hear you have SimpleSave working in Windows 10 as it was not compatible for others.

Hope that brilliantly answers your question.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Would you please post the make/model of your HP computer?

Ironically, I would suggest you distance yourself from the SimpleSave Hard drive.  The survival rate of these old drives is about 3-5 years at best, and if your computer is USB 3.0, there are better ways to storage offsite data.  I have used the newer Sandisk (SD) Extreme 32GB for my personal storage. Just format thw SD Extreme and copying the folders.  It has a140-150MB/sec speed on USB 3.0 data port.  I just recheck, and the 64GB version is a better bargain.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Just wanted to support what @wb2001 said.

Those drives are long in the tooth now and HP stepped away from those for good reason.

You will do best to get another drive and copy the files you want to keep over to it.

SimpleSave backups are also hardware encrypted. If it crashed, you wouldnt be able to recover any data because of it.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer. I am fully aware that the SimpleSave system is out of date.

But the 32 GB you suggests is not enough for me, as I have around 400 GB on my disc already and the volume ontinues to grow!

Do you have other solution.

I think I need an automatic backup, as I too often forget to do the backup myself!!

Best greatings

SAKUP

HP Recommended

Thank your for the answer.

But as i just wrote to "Dean", I need an automatic back up!

It was the strongest thing with SimpleSave, that it did the backup automatically, if I should forget!

Do you know of any other automatic solution?

Best greetings

SAKUP

HP Recommended

Unless you could clone the hard drive, and then start-over with a new drive,  it would be dangerous to continue with the SimpleSave system.  WIN 10 does allow a Backup into a separate drive (built-in software).  It can perform interval times and interval of keeping folders.

I did a folder "properties" on my current system.

PICS   33GB, 9400+ files

DOCS 10GB, 4500+ files

Music 21GB, 1100+ files

Total =/- of 64GB.  With overhead, it used 67GB on this first backup.  Drive is 372 GB.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

@SAKUP wrote:

But as i just wrote to "Dean", I need an automatic back up!

It was the strongest thing with SimpleSave, that it did the backup automatically, if I should forget!

Do you know of any other automatic solution?

My "opinion" is this...

I learned a long time ago, working as a photographer to never trust "automatic backups".

1.  If something goes wrong (and it can), you wont know it and have no backup.
  2.  I don't want proprietary files. I want to access my stuff from any computer without special software or hardware.

I still use the old tried and true SyncToy from Microsoft. Once set up, it can mirror your original drive or folders without encrypting them, so I can move the drive to another computer or 3rd backup system and use them directly.

Its a simple one button push to start the process each time which I do at the end of a day, so I know its getting done.

If you cant handle that, I don't know what to tell you. We all operate differently.  :Wink:

Need lots of space? I like WD Red drives. I go through a TB a year easily.

HP Recommended

@Photoray002,

Have to agree with you on principles.  I perform a complete clone of my hard drive about every 30 days. If the drive becomes unstable, I have redundant clones staged 30 days apart.  I use the SD Extreme's for a quick data backup of the DOCS and PICS (2001-2016). The music is kept on another SD.

@SAKUP never did explain the indidual folders that comprised 400 GB.  Got a feeling there are old backups in the mix.

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
HP Recommended
30 day clones. Nice. : )
HP Recommended

Hi to all  you helpfull guys!

Thank you all for your commentaries, ideas etc.! They were alle helpful to me!

After all your postings, I have now decided to make a regular cloning of my most important  files on another harddisc.

At the same time, I will continue using HP simpleSave, as long as it will be functioning, because it does the backup automatically for me.

But I realy don't understand, why this system has been stopped? Nothing of what I have been able to find does the same thing for the users and in the same easy way!!

However, I never got the real brilliant idea from any of you! Nor did I ever get the answer to the simple question I first raised, namely, if I could just delete the filehistory files from my SimpleSave harddrive?

For these reasons, I never used the "Accepted" button.

On the other hand, I think you all have given valuable contributions to the solution I have found. And I want to credit you all for these contributions.

I am not, however, used to this forum, and I do not know how I best might credit you for your effort?

Could you please help me on that point also?

Best wishes and thanks

SAKUP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.