Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 700-230qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Envy 700-230qe Desktop has 64-bit Windows 10 Home installed (version 2004, the latest) with all drivers current. I recently logged into HP Support Assistant, version 8.8.28.13, and checked for possible update(s) to this software. The response received advised, "Your HP Support Assistant is up to date." However, when I went to the HPSA website  to verify this information, I learned that the latest HPSA version is 9.6.605.0 (sp105523). So I'm a bit confused. Does my PC have the latest version or not? If the answer is that I can indeed (and should) update to version 9.6.605.0, how should I accomplish? Should I first uninstall the current HPSA version loaded on my PC before installing the newer version--or can I just install over the existing version?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

hi

HP Support Assistant
Version 9.6.605.0 / 8.8.26.13
HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.1
I think that answers your question?
--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

hi

HP Support Assistant
Version 9.6.605.0 / 8.8.26.13
HP Support Assistant is included on new HP desktop and notebook PCs. You can install it on PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools for HP printers and PCs. Click the ? icon on your system tray to start HP Support Assistant or download now. During setup, selected new HP PC models running Windows 10 will receive version 9. All other PC models will receive version 8.1
I think that answers your question?
--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I'm still not clear as to whether or not I should Install HPSA updated version 9.6.605.0 on my Windows 10 Envy 700-230qe PC. (Product No. E6S61AV#ABA). HP's HPSA website indicates this is the version being loaded on "selected new HP PC models running Windows 10...all other PC models will receive version 8...you can install on other PCs from other manufacturers for easy access to support resources and tools."

Bottom line, can I install version 9.6.605.0 in place of current version 8.8.28.13? A reading of sp105523 indicates that the 9 version supports Windows 10 desktops--and provides updated user interface, additional features, and improved personalized support. Or are there hardware restrictions based on my particular HP PC model (which, although discontinued, has the latest Windows 10 OS build and up-to-date drivers)?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

Edits - Remove most content - not relevant to the conversation

Short Answer:

No.

You do not get a choice - which version you can run is determined by your hardware.

You cannot force load the "newer" 9.6.x version onto a computer that cannot run the application.

Long Answer

There are two "flavors" of HP Support Assistant.

HP Support Assistant Software (located in Programs and Features) - likely version 8.8.x

and, for systems that can support the newer version,

HP Support Assistant Application (located in Settings > Apps > Apps and Features) - at this writing, 9.6.x

Thank you for participating in our HP Community .

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hello
thank you @Dragon-Fur 
indeed, I did not give the hpsupport link, because for me it was rather clear, since you had obviously already tried the installation
It is not enough to have windows 10, if the computer was under another version, windows 7 or windwos 8, you can not have version 9 ..

but ultimately that does not change much!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

@Prométhée 

I thought your explanation quite clear.

Customers sometimes come back and re-ask again even when the answer is all-good.

Edits - Remove most content as unnecessary

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

no problem
It is clear that there is something that does not make sense.
If the user does not have windows 10, not having the latest version, since it is not the same system at all, is normal!
But why not authorize it for all computers with Windows 10, even if some features should not be possible since the pc is old, I don't see too much concern for the rest!
Well, it's been a while since I tested both, but for me it's still a gadget, and sometimes not suitable!
I have seen too many subjects, where the bios update crashed the computer with this program, the user, not having had the choice (automatic install)

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

HP Recommended

To answer my own query, I decided to “take the bull by the horns” and see what happens when I download the HPSA version (sp105523) provided on HP’s HPSA website and install on my Windows 10 Envy 700-230qe PC—to see if version 9 or 8 loads.

As first steps I uninstalled both HPSA (version 8.28.13) and associated HP Support Solutions Framework (HPSSF) on my PC. Of note, HPSA uninstalled normally, but HPSSF did not—had to use Microsoft’s Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter to accomplish successfully (my HPSSF uninstall application may have been corrupted). Once done I further searched my hard drive and registry to manually remove any easily identifiable HPSA entry remnants (reason: from past experience I knew that this software imbeds itself very deeply in supported devices). I then ran the downloaded sp105523 file to reinstall HPSA. After a few hiccups, it ultimately installed successfully, including HPSSF. Many restarts were utilized in conjunction with the entire process. Bottom line, sp105523 installed version 8.8.26.13 on my PC, not 9.6.605.0. After checking HPSA for possible update(s), the software automatically updated to version 8.28.13—same version before I started. So nothing changed.

Bottom line, whether or not you get HPSA version 9 or 8 installed on your machine probably has to do with hardware restrictions. Apparently the 9 version only will install on certain new Windows 10 PCs—obviously not on my five year old desktop

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.