Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 25L Omen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have Win10 (HP 25L Omen) with ethernet connection to Win7 and WiFi to internet. Win7 machine booted normally. Win10 booted unusually slow - took about 45 sec to get to login screen instead of 5, but it came up. I could see the drives on the Win7 machine and established an ethernet RDP session to it. Opened a photo app that needed files on the Win7 machine - couldn't find them and the RDP screen went gray. Quickly found that both ethernet and WiFi weren't working. Device manager said both adapters were working. Spent a couple of hours trying to figure things out. Finally Googled the "...couldn't bind the IP protocol stack..." and got to a suggestion to check updates and restore points.  I found a restore point had been set at the time I started the machine. Two drivers had been updated by HPSF - an Intel (SoftwareComponent) and a Realtek(NetService) - see first attached pic for details. Completed the restore, those 2 files were rolled back and system connected normally through ethernet and WiFi. During troubleshooting I found that the actual network adapter drivers were not changed, only the driver(s) handling the "IP stack binding protocol".

Five days later HPSF did another update - this time several NVIDIA drivers were updated along with the Intel (SoftwareComponent) and Realtek(NetService) drivers (2nd pic). Again ethernet and WiFi was killed and restore fixed the problem.

Intel (SoftwareComponent) 5/5/2021 7.4.0.26 and Realtek(NetService) 3/12/2019 3.6.313.2019 seem to be the culprits and HPSF is going to continue to try to update them every time it runs. And every time I roll back I will be undoing some desirable or necessary updates.

QUESTIONS:

How can I keep HPSF from updating those two components?

Can I turn off HPSF and manually update NVIDIA drivers? 

Is there any way to update individual drivers (like it was done during my 30 year IT career supporting HP desktops and servers)? 

Best way to fix this problem?

Here's one other factor - I bought 2 identical HP Omens 11/2019. The other HP also has ethernet/RDP connections to Win7 desktops, NAS and WiFi. The Windows drivers updates are the same for both machines. But the other one does not seem to have HP Support Assistant running (no HPSF updates) and has not had this problem.210915-Driver Update Problem.jpg210920-Driver Update Problem2-1.jpg210920-Driver Update Problem2 restore history.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello
so sorry if i don't answer all the questions i didn't understand everything i think
but if you have problem with Hp support assistant every time then yes open program settings
click on more settings, if the option is hidden
then disable updates

The software is capricious, and it will reactivate, or ask to do it, there are some workarounds, but it does not work every time, I do not know if I would find the discussions about it
If the program is not of great use to you, do as I did, delete it.
you can optionally check for updates manually on HP product support

[edit]

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello
so sorry if i don't answer all the questions i didn't understand everything i think
but if you have problem with Hp support assistant every time then yes open program settings
click on more settings, if the option is hidden
then disable updates

The software is capricious, and it will reactivate, or ask to do it, there are some workarounds, but it does not work every time, I do not know if I would find the discussions about it
If the program is not of great use to you, do as I did, delete it.
you can optionally check for updates manually on HP product support

[edit]

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Thanks for the insight - much appreciated!  👍

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.