Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ATI Radeon HD 4200 driver

With the October 2017 update, my screen has lost it's HD display, tool bar and apps are fuzzy and stretched wide.  From what I read earlier if I 'Rollback Driver' this will be fixed, but on my computer the button for 'Rollback Driver" shows it can not be used.  Does anyone know how to correct this.   My HP x20LED 20 inch Diagnal LCD Monitor also keeps showing the message "OSD is Locked" when I try to access the menu.  How can I 'unlock' it and/or does this have anything to do with the Rollback issue?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On December 18, 2017, Microsoft released an update for the problem with AMD Radeon graphic adapters, for both Windows 10 '1703' and '1709' versions.

See: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/display-problems-on-some-amd-r...?

for details.

Just run Windows Update.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

@jamhob

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

I understand that post an update on Oct. 2017 the screen has lost the HD display, the tool bar and apps are fuzzy and stretched wide. The option to rollback the driver is not available. Secondly on your HP x20LED 20-inch Diagonal LCD Monitor there is a message stating that the OSD is locked out. Not to worry, I'll do my best to assist you with this case. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Please let me know the exact PC model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Was it an update from Microsoft?

Meanwhile, let us attempt to unlock the OSD menu on the monitor by following the below steps:

• Turn the monitor off.

• Press and hold the Menu button.

• Press and release the Power button.

• Release the Menu button.

The OSD is now unlocked.

Also, please refer to this HP article to know more about display adjustments for your HP monitor.

I did some more research about fixing fuzzy and stretched display and suggest you to follow the steps mentioned under "Fuzzy text, blurry or stretched images" from this HP document.

I hope this information helps. Please keep me posted. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes you do understand my problem.  I have unlocked my moniter successfully, thank you.  The model of my PC is a HP Pavilion p6604y.  Yes it was a windows update, it did the same thing to my wife's computer (exactly what mine is) and I was easily able to Rollback the driver an correct the probelm.    On my computer it seems to have blanked the HD driver out completely, I'm guessing that is why I can't make use of the rollback.   The driver came with the computer so I don't have a disc to reload it.   So I need to download the driver from somewhere. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @jamhob

I see that you were interacting with @MKazi. He is out of office and I'm here to help!

Try to download and install the display drivers on your PC and check. 

Enter the product number to download and install the display drivers from here: http://hp.care/2oFOQnv  

If the issue persists, try to perform a system restore and then a system recovery if necessary.

1. System Restore

If the issue started happening after a recent update, then you might be able to restore the system to a point before. System Restore automatically creates restore points, a memory of the system files and settings on the computer at a particular point in time. Then, when you use System Restore to restore your computer to a point in time before an issue began, System Restore returns your computer to the files and settings from the restore point. Your personal files and documents are not affected.

Go to http://hp.care/2bS4d95 and follow the steps under “Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally”.

2. System Recovery

System recovery is the last step to troubleshoot this issue. This option reformats the system drive (usually C:), reinstalls the original operating system and reinstalls all the original hardware drivers and software. All you save files will be lost and your computer will be formatted to the day you purchased the machine.

Go to HP PCs - Software recovery options (Windows 11 and Windows 10) | HP® Support and follow the steps under “Recovery when Windows 10 does not start correctly”.

That should help. Let me know!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for the message.  I will try what you outlined.   Let you know, thanks. 

HP Recommended

At the http://hp.care/2oFOQnv   website you referred to in downloading drivers, all it offers me to download is a diagnositic program.   It offers me no drivers for my monitor.   I cannot locate a system 'Restore' on my comptuer only a recovery which will wipe out programs my install discs will no longer work due to having b een used twice already.  These are heavily used programs for me.   So I am not considering that.  I just need to download new drivers from somewhere.   Thanks for your response. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @jamhob

Try the steps below:

1. Restart the PC.
  2. Go to Device Manager by right-clicking on the Windows logo and selecting the Device manager.
  3. Click on "Display Adapters"
  4. Right click on... whatever the name is of your adapter.
  5. Click on "Properties"
  6. In the window, click on "Driver"
  7. Click on "Roll Back Driver"
  8. Then click on the "OK" or "Apply" button and check.

If the issue persists, try the steps below:

1. Press Windows logo key + R to get the Run window. Type "msconfig" and press enter to get system configuration menu.
  2. Then, on the Boot Tab, ensure that the BaseVideo option is un-checked. Restart.

That should help! Let me know 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thanks for your input.  I tried the first steps you listed, and I cannot click "Roll Back Driver" because it will not highlight or allow me to click that box. 

I went to check the msconfig and the base driver is indeed unchecked.  

When I go to the properties of the adapter, the first screen which is hte General Tab displays :  "No drivers are installed for this device."   Though when I run 'update' my adapter driver it says the best version is already being used.   It seems on one hand my computer knows the driver is there but for some reason it's not accessing it. 

Thanks for your message. 

HP Recommended

Hello, @jamhob

Appreciate your efforts!

Did you try to install the drivers using the AMD auto driver update? If a new driver is available, the tool is designed to help you download it. After you download the driver, simply click “Install” to start your installation.

Click here to install the auto driver detect tool: AMD Drivers and Support | AMD

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.  I have went to the website you sent me and  downloaded  the driver update, but after it ran  and I opened it and clicked "Install" a box came up and displayed 'Components Are Already Installed".   Yet, when I check the properties of my driver it still stays No Drivers Available.    Thanks for the help.  I continue to strike out.  It seems like my system won't recognize the driver software for some reason. 

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.