Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 1154
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am installing Windows XPX64 on a new HDD to be dual booted with the current Windows 10 installation.

I am able to use nLite to save and burn an installation ISO image, however to burn a usable disk with SATA drivers is a different stroy.

So far I am unable to find any FDD drivers for AMD hardware that work.

I would appreciate if someone could point me the right direction.

HP software and driver downloads will not install post installation as the oldest ones I can find are for Windows 7.

I need Windows XP for some of my business software.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @Joe6666

I have zipped up and attached below, the XP x64 SATA AHCI drivers you need if the drive controller is set to AHCI.

Unzip the file and slipstream all of the drivers.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

The support page for that model indicates Windows 7 was installed,  assuming that has been upgraded to Windows 10. You might be able to install WinXP using a virtual machine within Windows 10 and then it would use the drivers already installed.

https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Hi, @Joe6666

I have zipped up and attached below, the XP x64 SATA AHCI drivers you need if the drive controller is set to AHCI.

Unzip the file and slipstream all of the drivers.

HP Recommended

Thank you!  I will work on this today and let you know how it turns out. Here is hoping for the best. 🙂

HP Recommended

@TheOldManwrote:

The support page for that model indicates Windows 7 was installed,  assuming that has been upgraded to Windows 10. You might be able to install WinXP using a virtual machine within Windows 10 and then it would use the drivers already installed.

https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

Thank you for taking time to reply.  I appreciate your help, however I did have WXP installed in a VM setup. I found though that for some reason every time I turned off my PC that the Windows VM operating in Windows XP mode would lose all settings and software so I had to re-set everything on each use.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If your PC's drive controller is set to RAID, I will have to find the SATA RAID drivers you need because the one's I attached are only good for the AHCI drive controller setting, which is the default setting for most desktop PC's.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanenwrote:

You're very welcome.

If your PC's drive controller is set to RAID, I will have to find the SATA RAID drivers you need because the one's I attached are only good for the AHCI drive controller setting, which is the default setting for most desktop PC's.

Unfortunately I could not get this to work. Perhaps I am missing some simple step? I had no problem extracting your file, no problem inserting the drivers into my ISO image and burning it to an installation CD, pressed F6 at the prompt, but from there the Windows XP installation was no different than any other attempt.  No SATA drivers to be found. When given the choice to press "S" for third party applications nothing happened. Pressing "Enter" just completed the install as  normal IDE installation.

I have read the nLite FAQ's, and anything else I can think of to be able to dual boot without having to always go into BIOS settings, change HDD's physically, to make this more productive.

Even installed a Windows 7 partition on the primary HDD and installed Windows XP mode and Windows VM again. Still makes me rest everything with that setup every time I log off my PC. 😞

I am open to suggestions as I really do need some of my "old" XP software for business applications.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can't do it that way (F6 + S).

The drivers have to be slipstreamed into a copy of your XP installation disk.

See the document I attached below for how to slipstream the drivers.

It is for Intel, but the part you really want is just how to do the mechanics.  You already have the drivers.

Now, if you want to use the F6 + S method to install the drivers, you have to get your hands on a USB FDD, copy the files I attached yesterday to a floppy disk, and then you should be able to install them that way.

The F6 installation will only work with a floppy disk and floppy disk drive.

Copy all the files in the folder to the FDD, not the folder itself.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanenwrote:

Hi:

You can't do it that way (F6 + S).

The drivers have to be slipstreamed into a copy of your XP installation disk.

See the document I attached below for how to slipstream the drivers.

It is for Intel, but the part you really want is just how to do the mechanics.  You already have the drivers.

Now, if you want to use the F6 + S method to install the drivers, you have to get your hands on a USB FDD, copy the files I attached yesterday to a floppy disk, and then you should be able to install them that way.

The F6 installation will only work with a floppy disk and floppy disk drive.

Copy all the files in the folder to the FDD, not the folder itself.

Thank you again. I apologize for being "dense".

I have followed the steps outlined to a "T" at this point. I have the nLite created install disk burned, and am ready to attempt WXP installation once more.

Am I correct in understanding that I must set BIOS to boot in IDE mode as I have read elsewhere?

Also that I let the install progress without pressing F6 to completion, and that the integrated drivers you so kindly provided will install on their own?

At that time I should be able to set BIOS back to ACHI mode and dual boot to WXP?

Am I missing anything at this point?

Thank very much for your patience.

Joe

HP Recommended

Hi, Joe:

The purpose of this exercise is to provide the correct storage controller driver so you do not have to change the PC's drive controller setting in the BIOS to IDE.

If you put the drive controller setting in the BIOS to IDE, XP would install without any issues.

So, why not change the drive controller setting to IDE, install XP, and change the setting back to AHCI again?

If you did that, XP wouldn't boot up because it doesn't have the sata ahci driver to run in AHCI mode.

If you leave the BIOS setting on IDE, then your PC's hard drive would run at the worst possible setting for performance, as it would not be able to take advantage of Native Command Queuing.

So...make sure the drive controller setting in the BIOS is set to AHCI.

You are correct...

If you followed the instructions in that document to a "T," then all you need to do is boot from the XP installation disk, sit back, and watch XP install (and follow the other prompts when requested during the installation process).

You do not have to press the F6 key when you see that option.

Slipstreaming the drivers is supposed to integrate them into the XP installation file, and it will work just like when you see XP loading all of those other drivers at the beginning of the installation process.  It will load the SATA AHCI drivers.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.