Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I have an HP Omen 870-130VX  and wishing to upgrade to Win 11.  It says my processor isn’t compatible. Is there a work around or a compatible processor upgrade for this machine? My current processor is an I7-6700. It meets all other requirements for Win 11

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

There are a lot of ways to upgrade both walkthroughs and videos guides

https://www.google.com/search?q=install+windows+11+on+unsupported+pc

I recommend you replace your disk drive with a new one in the event something goes wrong and your systems usage is critical.  Do not try this update over a weekend if a thesis or homework is due on a monday.

The procedure I uses that was extremely easy is the method 3 https://geekflare.com/install-windows-11-on-unsupported-pcs/

except I found an easier step

1 -  using two USB flash drives download windows 10 iso on one and windows 11 on the other

user 16gb or bigger.  Maybe 32gb for the windows 10

2 - On the windows 10 USB rename that large file "install.win" to "iinstall_win.bu" or whatever it is named.

3 - From the windows 11 USB copy the large file "install.esd" over to the windows 10 USB and rename it to that "install.win" or whatever

Then install the windows 10 usb making sure to delete any existing partitions on the hard drive.  Note that deleting partitions means all the HP backup, restore and "bios copy" items are deleted.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hello @Tpm419419 

Sorry to hear that you are having problems ... I would like to help you.

Recommendation and solution

Please keep Windows 10 as your computer has not been officially tested with Windows 11 and HP drivers are not available:

OMEN by HP 870-100 Desktop PC series

If you follow the instructions of @BeemerBiker  it could happen that certain drivers or devices no longer work.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hi, @Tpm419419 

I used this method recently for W11 22H2 which is fairly easy to do.

Upgrade to Windows 11 22H2 on unsupported hardware | Jensd's I/O buffer

Most of the earlier methods you will find on the internet used to upgrade from W10>W11 21H2 no longer work.

Microsoft changed something in the W11 22H2 installation file.

I'm running HP desktop PC's much older than yours on W11 22H2 and they work fine.

Mine are using W7 drivers for some of the devices.

You can make it work one way or the other.

HP Recommended

Hello
Warning @Tpm419419 

Windows 11 on devices that don't meet minimum system requirements 
If the installation goes well for some, for others it can be complicated
go back to windows 10 - HP Support Community - 8200306

my laptop isnt coming on after i take it off - HP Support Community - 8238058

Re: [OMEN 17t-cb000] Windows 11 not fully compatible with BI... - HP Support Community - 8173257

Re: desktop will not boot up after attempted windows 11 upgr... - HP Support Community - 8237646

HP icore5, and generation, windows 11 installed now it won't... - HP Support Community - 8238507

Hp also might not provide any update:

HP PCs – Support for Windows 11 | HP® Customer Supportbr>

Think carefully, before taking the risk, see the experiences of other users, see if it can be interesting, or if you can wait to have a new computer later, 100% compatible!
Windows 10 remains one of the best systems, and can be used for quite a while.

I have performed the installation with a compatible computer ..
And I can not take full advantage of the more or less interesting features, because you have to have a certain material
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications
So far, so there is nothing extraordinary about this system
So if the computer is not compatible, you have little interest in using it ..
In some cases, we can have more problem than something else (performance etc), it is better to wait until most of the bugs are solved.
And even better to have a 100% compatible computer, in order to be able to take advantage of the available features
Now, if you want to give it a try, first plan to use specialized software, and make a ghost copy of your installation.

You will not be able to install a compatible processor
you would have to force install windows 11
there are several tutorials on the net, it's up to you

https://www.makeuseof.com/bypass-windows-11-minimum-installation-requirements/

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Paul Thanks for the reply. Question is will it receive updates and would it have to be a clean install or would I save my files, etc?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Using the method I posted you do an in-place upgrade, so you do not have to clean install W11.

I have tested that method on several different HP and Dell desktop and notebook PC's.

I had about a 75% success rate.  Now we are talking about 15 or so different models.

On the ones where it failed to update to 22H2, it progressed just fine and then all of a sudden around the 80% mark or so it simply quit and went back to the W10 desktop.

No warnings, no error codes, no nothing.

Hopefully you will have no problem.

If you have to resort to a clean install, let me know because I'll give you the procedure to easily make a bootable W11 USB installer that will bypass the hardware checks using Rufus.

You will get all of the security and quality updates.

You may even get some driver updates.

I check what I get on the unsupported PC's I have against a PC that is fully supported for W11 and is running W11 22H2.

Ironically, I had to clean install both versions of W11 on that HP notebook.

It would not upgrade from W10>W11 22H1 or from W11 21H1>22H2.

Go figure.

HP Recommended

Hello @Tpm419419 

I maintain my position and do not recommend trying to update to Windows 11, which also cheats Microsoft's safeguards.

Kind regards

HP Recommended

I appreciate your concerns. Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.