Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z32W
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi community.

Why Z32W not support official Apple Thunderbolt 2 -> Thunderbolt 3 Adapter and Thunderbolt 3 cable? Then i plug cable in display i see message:

"USB-C: Caution - An unqualified USB-C cable has been detected. Please use a qualified HP USB-C cable supported by this monitor to ensure the best performance". This is absurd! Since HP does not sell this adapter and has no analogues!

Russian technical support could not help me, they said: "that in this case u will not do anything…"

Spoiler

IMG_1361.jpegIMG_1362.jpeg
Official Apple TBT 2 -> 3 (Type-C) AdapterOfficial Apple TBT 2 -> 3 (Type-C) Adapter

Web Engineer. Workaholic. Geek. Father.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is a great forum post on exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Is Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (type C) possible?

The Z32 is not a Thunderbolt 3 device.  It is just USB-C.  So it runs displayport over USB-C for video over the USB-C port.  According to the post that is why it does not work with just the adapter.

[1 DisplayPort™ 1.2; 1 mini DisplayPort™ 1.2; 1 HDMI 2.0; 1 USB Type-C™ (Alternative mode DisplayPort™ 1.4, power delivery up to 65 W); (with HDCP support)]

The post does go on to explain how to make it work but it is pretty involved.  And would require a Thunderbolt 3 dock which most likely defeats what you are trying to accomplish.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You would need to verify with Apple but I believe that adapter would be directional and only go from Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2.  Not the other way around.  What you actually need is to just use the HDMI port on the Mac Pro, an HDMI cable and the HDMI input on the monitor.  Or get a Thunderbolt 2 to DisplayPort adapter and cable then connect to the DisplayPort on the Monitor.

HP Recommended

Hi. No, i need Type-C (TBD 3) exactly, not DP, HDMI, or else

Web Engineer. Workaholic. Geek. Father.
HP Recommended

Here is a great forum post on exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Is Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 (type C) possible?

The Z32 is not a Thunderbolt 3 device.  It is just USB-C.  So it runs displayport over USB-C for video over the USB-C port.  According to the post that is why it does not work with just the adapter.

[1 DisplayPort™ 1.2; 1 mini DisplayPort™ 1.2; 1 HDMI 2.0; 1 USB Type-C™ (Alternative mode DisplayPort™ 1.4, power delivery up to 65 W); (with HDCP support)]

The post does go on to explain how to make it work but it is pretty involved.  And would require a Thunderbolt 3 dock which most likely defeats what you are trying to accomplish.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.