Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Recline 23-m230
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had my HP Envy Recline 23-m230 since 2013, and fairly recently (August of 2015), I upgraded to Windows 10. A few days ago, I had tried to connect my Wii U to the computer. The computer does have an HDMI In port and also includes an HDMI In button. I connected them to each other, but when I had pressed the HDMI button, the screen had went black and said "Game Mode, No video signal". For the past few days, I've been trying to find a solution, but no luck. I've switched HDMI cables, uninstalled and updated HP MyDisplay several times, and updated my graphics drivers. I don't want to have to resort to reinstalling Windows or something drastic like that. Please help!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi there @Mozz96,

May the Forums be with you!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.  I understand that you are not getting any output to your All-in-one display when using the HDMI input with your Wii U.  I am happy to help with this.

Did that same connection work prior to upgrading to Windows 10, or had you never tried it before?  Did you upgrade all of the drivers for your system after upgrading to Windows 10?   If not then please use the HP Support Assistant to help with that. 
HP PCs - Using HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 8, 7)
HP PCs - Troubleshooting HP Support Assistant (Windows 10, 😎

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, @Malygris1! 🙂 I had not tried the connection prior to using Windows 10, unfortunately, so I don't know if if had worked prior to the upgrade. When I had opened HP Support Assistant to check if an update was needed, the prgrom connects to HP servers, but doesn't do any of the other steps, leaving an X where there should be a checkmark. Maybe there are more problems that originally expected. 😞

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update. 

You can always try to manually install the most recent drivers from: HP ENVY Recline 23-m230 TouchSmart Beats SE All-in-One Desktop PC (ENERGY STAR)

Then if that does not work, you could go back to the factory installation, but you would need recovery media for that, If you did not make a set prior to upgrading to Windows 10, then see: HP PCs - Obtaining HP Recovery Discs or an HP USB Recovery Drive

Another choice since your computer is showing the message "No Video signal" ,you can check the cable you are using for the Wii U. Also you can consult with support for the Wii U. there may be some setting you need to change on the device to output a compatible signal to the computer display. Nintendo Customer Support  - www.nintendo.com

I hope that this helps.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

Ok, I've updated to the most recent drivers for my computer, but no luck. 😞

I also would like to avoid resetting the computer, for I have too many downloadables, such as games and programs like many of the HP programs that came with the PC, that I would have to hunt down and download again. 

I've also replaced the cable I was using before with a new one, and that hadn't panned out well either. Checking the Nintendo website for a solution did not provide any insight either, and looking through the settings on the system's settings did not solve it either.

Thank you for your continued help, I'm really in need of a solution! 🙂

HP Recommended

Are you able to connect another video output device, such as a portable DVD/BluRay player using the HDMI input to the computer, to test whether is functions with that connection?

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I had connected my Xbox One to the computer, using the HDMI Input, but to no avail, as it still says:

"  Game Mode  "

No Video Signal

I don't know if it'll help find a solution, but connecting my HP 15 laptop (Also running Windows 10) to the computer will produce an image, but I have to go to the "Project to a Second Screen" Option in order for it to work.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the update. The fact that the system does get input from a notebook using the connection shows that the input works. 

For your reference: HP ENVY Recline 23 and 27 TouchSmart All-in-One PCs - Connecting HDMI Devices to Your Computer (Wind...

I think you are left with a setting on your Xbox One or Wii U that directs output through that HDMI connection. It should also be a screen resolution that is supported by the display. Looking at the HP ENVY Recline 23-m230 TouchSmart Beats SE All-in-One Desktop PC Product Specifications, the Native resolution is 1920 x 1080 (16:9 aspect ratio). You may want to be sure the output from the two games consoles is set to match that resolution.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hmm, when I try to change video settings on the Wii U's menu, it says that there isn't a connection between the two, even though they are in fact connected.

EDIT: I don't know what happened to make it do so, but after tons of tries pressing the HDMI button, it didn't say the usual message, but instead booted me onto a black screen with the HDMI Menu on it. After trying to interact with it with my keyboard, however, the menu disappeared and left me on the black screen and unable to do anything, including going back to PC mode when pressing the HDMI button. I don't know what  I did to trigger it, and I had to shut down and restart my computer via holding the Power button.

HP Recommended

I had this problem too.  The name of the driver is HPmydisplayOSD.  I downloaded the installer for the newest version, and it said to uninstall the old one.  I found the installer file on my computer, (same name but different version), ran it to uninstall, rebooted and ran the new installer again.  That got it working.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.