Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP All In One HP 22-b060na 21.5 inch
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone...

Im stumped as to whats wrong with my sons PC.

I found out tonight that he apparently deleted the driver for the integrated webcam.

So Ive checked and updated/reinstalled the current driver.

Ive installed Youcam software and there is nothing but a grey screen on the video webcam picture.  ALso tried Skype and the same problem.

Ive looked at everything I can think of to resolve this.

I even disabled then renabled the webcam - still nothing has worked.

He has told me the webcam wasnt working from the start but Ive no way of knowing this for sure as I never actually tried it. 

Anyone any ideas if I was to uninstall it could is the built in webcam software available on the HP website...?

Coudl this possibly be a fault in the machine - only bought for xmas so shoudl be under warranty.

Any hgelp really appreciated...:)

Cheers

James

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @jlg71,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I Understand you've done almost everything to resolve the issue including reinstalling the drivers & webcam applications, however, all you have is grey display as the webcam doesn't work,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Have you checked if the device is getting detected in the device manager? 
(Click here, if you haven't - Look under Webcam is not listed in Device Manager)

HP Desktop PCs - Webcam is not Working (Windows 10, 😎

Did you check for any other HP Forum posts to help resolve your concern?

If you haven't, Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

Also, ensure the webcam is the selected video/capture device for your webcam software 

Your webcam must be selected as the video capture device in your webcam software. If the computer has multiple video input sources, your webcam software might be connected to something other than your webcam. 

To select the webcam as your video source, open your webcam software and look for the video camera, video source, or video caption in the software's properties or preferences. Here are some common examples of selecting the webcam as the video source: 

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi..

Thanks for the reply.

Yes the webcam is listed in Device Manager.  Ive selecetd it as the source in both Skype and Youcam but still theres a grey screen only once its opened up.

I had a look at other posts but couldnt find anyone with the same issues or the same probs on this PC as mine...?

This webcam is the only video source on this PC.

I have disabled and then enabled the webcam turned off the PC and on again and still no change...

If I was to uninstall the software for the webcam is it easy enough to find and reinstall the software again from the HP site..?

Thanks lot...

James

HP Recommended

Hi @jlg71,

Thank you for replying,

Answering to your question If I was to uninstall the software for the webcam is it easy enough to find and reinstall the software again from the HP site..? Yes, you can go ahead and uninstall and reinstall the drivers.

Alternatively, you can also try to test with other software - HP Notebook PCs - Testing a Webcam Using YouCam (Windows 10, 8, 7) (Though the document is for Notebook, you can try this for Desktop PC as well).

I would also suggest here is to update the Bios and Chipset drivers on your PC from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again...

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I will try all of these tomorrow and see if I can get somewhere with this problem.

I was worried if I uninstalled the camera Id not be able to reinstall the software for it but if I can thats great..:)

Will let you know how I get on...

Thanks for your help so far..

James

HP Recommended

Hi @jlg71,

As I understand you would like to have the instructions on how to uninstall and reinstall the webcam drivers. Let me go ahead and help you with it.

Please check in device manager if there is a listing for the webcam under Imaging devices.

Right click on start button>left click on device manager in the list>expand Imaging devices and check if there is a webcam listing.

If there is uninstall it and restart the computer and check if the driver gets installed correctly. Then try to use the Webcam.

Once the computer restart, you can try to install the webcam drivers from HP Recovery manager - HP PCs - Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 10)

I hope this should do the trick. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than glad to help you.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful,

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again...

Ive having no luck with this webcma problem.

Ive tried everytwhere to get the webcam software is there a link where I can install it from or if you know the name of the software as the support assistant and the drivers updates do not mention any webcam software just graphics and ausio driver updates.

Ive been looking for this for an hour now and to be honest Im getting really frustrated with this.

Shoudl this not have been working as the PC is new..

Were there already new updates since Dec 2017 as this PC was bought for Xmas.

Im beginning to think the webcam actually wasnty working from the date of purchase.

If you could direct me to a link to download the right software for this pc that would be a big help....:)

THanks for your help...

James

HP Recommended

Hi again...

Ive tried everthing to find the webcam software now I have already uninstalled it.

Is there a link you could provide to download the webcam software directly as Ive been going round in circles with the support assistant etc and not once has there been any mention of the webcam or its drivers just graphics and audio drivers....?

I tried HP support assistant and it failed to update the firmware and various other drivers...so it was very unhelpful.

Shoudl there really have been a need to up[date bios etc  drivers surely the machine shoudl have been up to date as it was sold brand new...?

I wanted to find a  diagnostic tool to tell me there is no software installed and where to install it from.

Surely this should have been working considering this PC is barnd new only purchased at Christmas 2017...?  Im begininng to think the webcam never actually worked at all... very frustrating...

Thanks for your help...

James

HP Recommended

Hi again...

Just to update things this is the info under the event log details I found this morning:

Driver Management concluded the process to install driver usbvideo.inf_amd64_542c81a7b2b4e321\usbvideo.inf for Device Instance ID USB\VID_05C8&PID_0230&MI_00\6&297C7B83&0&0000 with the following status: 0x0.

Device Manager states the webcam is working properly yet in software I try its saying no capyute device available depite myself trying to choose it as the capture device...?

Still very confused as to whats going on...?

Thought this info might help things a bit...

THanks

James

HP Recommended

@@jlg71,

It looks like you were interacting with Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out. 
I'm Raj1788 & I'm at your service. 

I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. 
If your product is Out of warranty, then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted on any other assistance.Hope that helps! 
Let me know 🙂
Have a great day Ahead!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.