Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP OMEN17 cb1003nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello,

i can't find how to connect my HP OMEN 17 cb1003nf to my DELL ALIENWARE 28 240fps screen

i tried with hdmi connection, but it doesn't work, i have a dark screen on my external monitor

i didn't checked if it was possible to connect hp omen 17 with external monitor, can he do this? and if so, is there something i need to do? 

ty!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@matthkllr 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/my-en/document/c06721494

It has many ways to connect to external monitor(s). Probably you already know: refresh sate goes up, resolution will go down and vice versa. Both  Mini DisplayPort™ and HDMI 2.0a ports should give you 1920 x 1080 at 120Hz. 

Your machine also has 1 Thunderbolt™ 3 (40Gbps signaling rate) with SuperSpeed USB Type-C® 10Gbps signaling rate (DisplayPort™ 1.4, HP Sleep and Charge) port. You can connect DIRECT to a monitor which have USB-C connetor and you will get   DisplayPort™ 1.4 result.

I can't file the specs of your DELL ALIENWARE 28 240fps monitor but using HDMI connection, you should get lower resolution, not dark screen (unless the resolution is too small).

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

thank you for the quick answer !

i was afraid i my pc was only able to receive via hdmi (like using it as a monitor for ps4 or ps5) and not able to export video on external monitor !

i’ll give it another try tonight ! because when i go in settings, i see my 2nd monitor as external monitor, but always have a dark screen. Maybe my hdmi isnt working fine. 

thank you!

HP Recommended

@matthkllr wrote:

... i was afraid i my pc was only able to receive via hdmi (like using it as a monitor for ps4 or ps5) and not able to export video on external monitor !..

@matthkllr 

No, ONLY some AIO machines have this facility. Notebooks won't be able to do that. Manual clearly says its ports:

• HP Smart Plug AC adapter
  • Audio-out (headphone)/Audio-in (microphone) combo jack
  • Microphone-in jack
  • RJ-45 (network) jack
  • High-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) v.2.0 + HDCP 2.2 supporting up to 4096 × 2160 at 60 Hz
  • Hot plug/unplug and auto detect for correct output to wide-aspect vs. standard aspect video (auto adjust panel resolution to fit embedded panel and external monitor connected)
  • Mini DisplayPort™
  • USB 3.0 Type A ports (3); two on left side, one on right side; supports HP Sleep & Charge (right side)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port (left side; supports data transfer, DisplayPort 1.4 output up to 7680 × 3840 [60 Hz]; supports HP Sleep & Charge)
  • USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C port with Thunderbolt™ Gen 3 technology (left side)  - may be

I did mention on my first reply. Your machine has many ways to connect to external monitors using all ports above.

Does your monitor has a Display port in ? Please try to connect it using a direct  miniDisplayPort to Display port cable

For example 

https://www.mwave.com.au/product/alogic-2m-mini-displayport-to-displayport-cable-ver-12-mm-ab88677

or miniDP to HDMI cable

https://www.amazon.com.au/Rankie-DisplayPort-Cable-Resolution-Ready/dp/B00YONKZ72

Regards

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

my hdmi cable was the problem, he was down !

i managed to share on my 2nd monitor using another hdmi cable, but as you said, only 60fps

there's no way to get 120fps? or more? maybe using displayport? my monitor as displayport, hdmi, and usb-c 

ty for all your answers !! helped a lot

HP Recommended

@matthkllr wrote:

... i managed to share on my 2nd monitor using another hdmi cable, but as you said, only 60fps

@matthkllr 

Do you use HDMI version 2 or above cable ?

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.