Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp pavilion gaming desktop 690-002bla
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey there,

Recently bought an HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-002bla and trying to add another monitor. The shop didn't have any Displayport cables so I bought the HP USB-C Multi port hub to connect my second monitor.

The USB-C port can technically ouput video through HDMI, but after trying with the original HP monitor, a Dell monitor, and TV HDMIs, no luck with the video output from the multi port hub.

The issue is that the second connected monitor is not detected by Windows 10.

Have I wasted my money/time with this hub?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Nallen123 wrote:

... The USB-C port can technically ouput video through HDMI,..

@Nallen123 

That is not true in many cases depending the Generation of the USB 3.1 type C port. Its specs does not say anything about the USB 3.1 Type C (USB-C) port. It must support Alt mode to be able to get video out. The specs of your machine is

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06026326

It has TWO sets of video out ports

1. The first one are VGA and HDMI port from the motherboard  which are disabled because there is a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4 GB) card and that explains why the second connected monitor is not detected by Windows 10
  2. Dual Link DVI-D + HDMI + DisplayPort from the NVIDIA card which are active.

Probably your first monitor uses HDMI port therefore you can use 2 other ports and forget USB 3.1 type C port.

Buying cable for Display port or Display port to HDMI or DVI port to HDMI is much easier than unknown USB 3.1 Type C port.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for that.

The USB-C is 3.1 Gen 1 according to the spec sheet that came with the computer.

So much for plug'n play in 2019! I'll just take it back and order the DP to HDMI cable, which is how it is I guess.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.