Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z230 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I configure 3 screens for the Z230 SFF in Windows 10 Pro? It only allows me to use (any) 2 of the three screens.

(If I boot Linux I get all three screens)

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It may not be possible in windows if the manufacture (hp) has installed a custom driver.  I ran into this problem trying to install the latest Intel HD driver.  The install failed with this error message on my Surface Pro 4.

Looking at the specs for your system here

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03943712#AbT2

There are several versions of the Nvidia gpu. Some can handle 4 displays, other only 2.

Which GPU do you have?

Possibly you can go to NVIdia and download the win10x64 driver instead of using the HP released driver.

You may get an error similar to the one I saw on my SP4.

If you do NOT have a discrete GPU then you will be using an Intel driver such as the following

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-z230-small-form-factor-workstation/5367813

There are a set of driver for the "tower SFF" version.  The above is for the SFF.  I was unsure which one you had.

[edit]  If you already have the above driver installed then I suspect if you run the Intel Upgrade adviser (or whatever it is called) you will probably get the same error message that I saw.  If you desperately need a 3rd monitor and cannot live without one then you could use the 7zip tool to take apart Intel's upgrade driver and extract the "x64 bin".  Once extracted then the device manager can be told to look there for a new driver.  If a problem you can always roll the driver back.

If you have a spare laptop you can easily add it as the 3rd monitor using Wi-Fi.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.