Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 570-p017c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have long had graphics problems with my Pavilion Desktop 570-p017c--specifically the signal to the monitor gets dropped frequently so the monitor gives me a "no signal detected" message and I have to force the computer to shut down with the power button.  The graphics card that came with the machine shows up in Device Manager as Radeon R9 M360, though the website specs for the model list it as R7 450.  I have tried a bunch of different AMD drivers both old and new.  For a while the problem stopped with an old driver, then it returned.  The problem doesn't happen if I uninstall the device and let Windows install the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter--but that has limited functionality, and Windows Update automatically downloads the AMD driver.  I have ended up pulling the card out and letting the Intel integrated graphics take over--which is mostly OK for me (not a gamer), though I would like more display ports.  I have thought of trying a different card, but everyone says the 180 watt PSU is not powerful enough to run any graphics card--so I'm thinking maybe the weak PSU is causing even the card that came with the machine to run badly.  The problem is finding a PSU that will fit since HP has made everything so proprietary.  I found a 400 watt PSU at HP PartSurfer, part # L04618-800, that I think might work with my model based on a post I read.  My model is not on the list of HP products the part is "used in"--but does that mean it is not compatible?  The closest models listed are probably the 590-p series, which seem like they might be similar my 570-p.  Does anyone know if part # L04618-800 will fit in my 570-p017c?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@P-dryinus HP does not recommend changing hardware components on the device, however, you may make such changes at your own discretion, to help you out, I must let you know that the device only supports uATX Format, please ensure you get the same PSU so that it fits.

An SFX power supply oftentimes is another name for what many manufacturers refer to as uATX or MicroATX, and that means this should work:  L04618-800

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

If you're not planning on gaming, I wouldn't bother upgrading the PSU. I reckon your issues are probably due to a faulty AMD card. If you're just after more connectors, I'd recommend buying something like a nVidia GT 730 and install that. It'll work fine with a 180w PSU and will get all it's power off the pcie bus, so no additional power connectors are required. You can get one of them off of eBay for around $50 AUD.

HP Recommended

Thank you 

HP Recommended

Thank you 

HP Recommended

@P-dryinus That's correct, however, I'd agree with @Hibb1 as well, as the info provided is accurate, although I cannot be as specific as he has been, considering HP does not recommend upgrades, the clarification about uATX being the same as SFX was mentioned because the part number you had listed was SFX instead of uATX or MicroATX.

I hope you understand.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK, so I've a little more research, and it appears that there's no such thing as a AMD R9-M360. According to the HP specs (as you stated) it SHOULD have a AMD R7-450. (You can always pull the card out and google the HP Part number on the card)

The HP specs state this card should be 50w or less. Other websites state this card is 65w. The max output of the PCIe slot is 75w. The general consensus on the GT-730 is that it draws between 25-49watt. So worse case scenario, the GT-730 will require no more power than the R7-450.

Now the odd thing is that it is recommended that BOTH cards have minimum 300w PSU. So SURELY HP would not have put 180w PSU in this unit if it was inadequate?

By my rudimentary calculations, you'll pulling about 150w out of 180w.

Video Card: 50w max

CPU: 65w

Slim DVD 20w max

HDD: 10w max

RAM: 6w

WiFi: 1.7w

So *technicially* putting a GT-730 (or similar) should be fine. One would ASSUME that if you're installing another graphics card of equal or less power draw than the originally supplied card, then it SHOULD be fine.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

Whoops - My bad. I googled R9-M630 by mistake!

HP Recommended

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.