Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I've bought a used HP Pavilion 690 Gaming Desktop (https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c06145404) but I can only get video out of the onboard graphics card, not the dedicated GTX 1060 6GB.

When I open the device manager the GTX 1060 is not listed at all and if I try to install the NVIDIA drivers that fails as it cannot find the hardware. All other drivers are installed and up to date.

From reading the documentation I can find my understanding is that if the motherboard detects a dedicated GPU then it should disable the onboard GPU. 

Things I've tried so far:

• Removing the CMOS battery - BIOS resets but still doesn't detect dedicated GPU.
  • The GTX 1060 (HP branded, so I'm assuming it was in the PC when new) works just fine in another computer
  • After thinking the motherboard might be at fault I found another 690 Lincs motherboard (It's an i5-8400 CPU) but this had the same problem

Is there something else I need to do to get it to recognise the dedicated GPU?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, I've just put the GTX 1060 back into the HP and this time it has actually detected it and I can install the NVIDIA drivers. I'm not sure why it didn't detect it before but it seems to be working ok now... 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

hi

Very curious, if you say it works well with another computer
For the second motherboard, not conclusive, we cannot be certain that 100% in good condition..
So you have connected the card to another computer so I assume you have checked and connected the pci cable
External power cable: One 2x3 (6 pin)

If the graphics card is not detected at all, it may be a power supply problem..
is the power supply the original one?Internal 310 W PSU

• 310 W SFF (Gold) Full range 115V/230V
  • 90% efficiency

Can you try another graphics card ?
it is possible that this computer is sold, precisely because there was a problem!

Everything listed here is in place?

https://support.hp.com/hr-en/document/c06145404

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes, the 6 pin power cable is plugged in and the power supply appears to be original: 310W Gold. The rest of the PC seems to be original too. I don't have another graphics card to test with at the moment.

HP Recommended

Ok, I've just put the GTX 1060 back into the HP and this time it has actually detected it and I can install the NVIDIA drivers. I'm not sure why it didn't detect it before but it seems to be working ok now... 

HP Recommended

Possibly incorrectly plugged in, otherwise it will remain a mystery

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------

please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

I don't think that's true actually, the card was plugged in to the motherboard correctly. I think the motherboard doesn't actually detect whether a dedicated GPU is present, but whether a display cable is plugged in to the onboard GPU or not.

After getting the dedicated GPU working and installing the drivers I rebooted the PC with cables connected to both the internal GPU and the dedicated GPU - the system reverted to only putting a signal out to the onboard GPU.

I reset the CMOS again and then powered up the system, making sure to only have a cable connected to the dedicated GPU. It took longer than I had expected (30-60 seconds) for an image to show, but it did come back.

HP Recommended

hi

"I think the motherboard doesn't actually detect whether a dedicated GPU is present, but whether a display cable is plugged in to the onboard GPU or not."

given that this is the original configuration, you actually had a curious problem..
But no, it doesn't have to be exactly that
When you buy a computer, you install it, the screen is connected to the graphics card, it starts without problem
This has been the case with all my hp computers so far!
I also replaced, or installed a new graphics card, and restarted with the screen directly connected to the graphics card!

Desktop-Knowledge-Base

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.