Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23-q014 All in one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Reposting...Need help. missing touchscreen driver

HP  23-Q014 Touch Smart All In One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-Bit)

I bought my all in one in 2015 for my husband.  It is a Touch Smart PC.  I had touch capability and he really likes that feature.  However, about six months ago the touchscreen stopped working.  I have tried every suggestion online to try and fix it.  In the device manager I can bring up the HID-compliant touch screen by hitting view but it is greyed out.  At the same time I have an unknown USB device trying to load under Universal USB controller which has a yellow triangle next to it.  If I disable or uninstall that I have momentarily gotten the touchscreen driver back but of course when I reboot it goes back to the failed setup.   The missing touchscreen driver properties shows disconnected (code 45) and the failed Unknown USB device properties shows 

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed. How can I retrieve my touchscreen function on this all in one?  My husband has neuropathy in hands and it is hard to type but fairly easy to use touch.  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There is no driver required for this model if the hardware is working correctly.

I would suggest running the UEFI Diags (keep tapping F2 when you turn the PC on)

Go to component tests, then Touch Screen. Run the tests.

If touch screen is NOT an option in the diags menu, then that means the system is not detecting the touch screen on a hardware level. Likewise if you are able to enter the touch screen tests, but the tests don't run properly, then you've got a hardware issue.

The only other thing I can suggest is go into BIOS (F10) and under security make sure 'internal usb ports' are enabled. These run your touch screen & webcam.

But if it seems to be hardware related, then unfortunately it's cost prohibitive to fix, as it'll either be the mainboard or the TS itself. Both expensive parts.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  Upon accessing the component tests I was able to use touch to do the tests.   Under BIOS ( which I have updated) the internal USB ports were enabled.  So it seems as if it is a software problem.  As I said in original post I have an unknown USB devices  trying to load under 'Universal Serial BUS controllers' with  

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed. under properties.  It seems to have something to do with the touchscreen not loading.  I have disabled that and uninstalled that and have momentarily revived the touch screen but the next time I boot up it is back to not working.  Is there some way to get rid of whatever is the 'unknown USB device'.  I have removed and replaced all USB devices with new USB devices....those are all pnp.  I would like to revive my touchscreen for my husband as typing is not easy with his neuropathy of the hands.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.