Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Dear Mark,

Q1: Last time it was working was working was before 23th of november 23:05.

Q2: No I have not done any. But U have made some updates with drivers at that time.

Q3: I have made every possible troublesoothig (HP & Windows) and they say everything is ok.. no it is not.

I have tried to update ATI Radeon HD 3200 driver and Microsoft PNP driver. No help.

I dont have no idea how to update bios or chipset. I am for god's sake 40 yers old humanist 😉

Try to thik that you explain it to my my 8 yrs old daughter or 70 yrs old mother.

Shoud you do some OTA update when u know how to fix this?

Sorry, I am just little bit frustareted..

Glad to hear that some have had help to fix the problem - didn't work for me..

HP Recommended

Try this, Follow the directions as before but because you have no option to roll back use the bold directions

*Go to: Device Manager

*Click on "Display Adapters"

*Right click on... whatever the name is of your adapter. (Mine is ATI Radeon HD4200)

* Click on "Properties"

* In the window, click on "Driver"

*Click update driver

*Choose Browse my Computer

*Choose  - Let Me pick from list

*Choose driver dated before your computer becam a problem

HP Recommended

I did the rollback, worked perfectly. You're a genius!

HP Recommended

Finally it worked! Thanks a lot 🙂 I took some two years old driver from the list and now my resolution is normal again.

Happy , happy, happy! I hope that it stays normal.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much.

Since I did update with new adaptors, the rollback button was grey and could not select.

As your idea, I did update with old adaptor & now the screen is back to NORMAL!!

HP Recommended

@StephM17 wrote:

Try this, Follow the directions as before but because you have no option to roll back use the bold directions

*Go to: Device Manager

*Click on "Display Adapters"

*Right click on... whatever the name is of your adapter. (Mine is ATI Radeon HD4200)

* Click on "Properties"

* In the window, click on "Driver"

*Click update driver

*Choose Browse my Computer

*Choose  - Let Me pick from list

*Choose driver dated before your computer becam a problem

I have tried this, but none of the drivers in the list have a date associated with them, nor does any of them change anything.  Any other ideas?

HP Recommended

I have tried to update driver, roll back driver, find an old driver to no avail.  What now?  It tells me the best driver is installed.

HP Recommended

OK, so I found a fix on a Microsoft forum.  Here's a copy and paste of the instructions:

Ok, I figured out how to restore the old version of the ATI Radeon HD3200 display driver when the Rollback Driver button is not available.  Here's what I did:

1. Download DriverStore Explorer from https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer/releases/tag/v0.8.4.2.

2. Unzip and run DriverStore Explorer (Rapr.exe). The application displays a list of drivers stored in the \Windows\System32\DriveStore\FileRepository folder. On my PC, under Display Adapters are listed 3 AMD display adapter drivers:

c0317758.inf   version=22.19.128.0  date=7/25/2017

c0317757.inf   version=22.19.128.0  date=7/25/2017

c7179335.inf   version=8.970.100.9001  date=1/13/2015

3. In DriverStore Explorer, click Restart As Admin, select checkbox beside c0317758.inf and c0317757.inf, then click Delete Package.

4. Start Device Manager and uninstall existing ATI Radeon HD3200 display driver.

5. In Device Manager, select Scan for hardware changes; the old AMD display driver from 1/13/2015 should be re-installed allowing you to properly set the resolution of your display again.

NOTES: The AMD display driver should support all ATI Radeon HD3000 & HD4000 series display adapters.  Since the drivers are provided by AMD, the fault for the problem likely resides with AMD and not MS. However, AMD may have intentionally removed support for the HD3000/4000 from the latest driver for some "unknown" reason.

It took a couple of restarts, and at first I didn't think it was going to work.  I had to uninstall the display a couple of times in Device Manager too.  Then out of nowhere the screen went black for about 10 seconds, and returned with all my original resolution settings available.

Hope this helps guys.

HP Recommended
Beautiful!!! This fixed it. 73 year old female author and artist, I spent 2 hours with Geek Squad expert and he couldn’t fix it, but thanks to you, I just did!!!
HP Recommended

Thank you so much!!!! This was the exact day my resolution went south. Your fix was easy and effective! I thought my display was failing. My Touchsmart 300 is good to go again!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.