Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 27-A227c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have seen this problem all over this site, but not seen any solved issues, other than blaming it on a hardware failure, which I don't understand since it seems to be an issue with a Windows update.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-All-in-one-TOUCHSCREEN-has-s...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/When-will-HP-release-update-for-27-quo...

At some point, like with many others, the touchscreen stopped working on my HP Pavilion All-In-One 27-A227c.  It doesn't even show up anymore under the device manager.

The recommended solution is to install the firmware for the touchscreen,

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79278.exe

but that results in this message:

【Upgrading】Search touch device...

This touch panel IC firmware update is for ILITEK only. We identified your
touch panel IC is not ILITEK. Please ignore this firmware update program and exit this program.
This touch panel IC firmware update is for ILITEK only.
Please ignore this firmware update program and exit this program.

This must be an endemic problem, as I have seen multiple posts on this with various models, and it is never marked as "solved".  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@SparkyJS,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the touchscreen is not working on the computer after a recent Windows update.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Do you remember after what Windows update the touchscreen stopped working?

Meanwhile, I recommend you perform a system restore back to the date when the touchscreen was working fine.

Follow the steps in the below article to perform a system restore.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is a really useless loop that the troubleshooters and help desk staff are taking us round and then stating that it is a hardware fault, when clearly it is a Windows Update fault and needs a fix for the driver install and Windows Registry entries.  Come on HP you can do a lot better than to sell us hardware that fails after a routine update and then waste everyone's time by not listening to user feedback about really poor advice.

HP Recommended

@ShinHunter

Thank you for posting back. 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue. I would suggest performing system factory reset will put the computer back to the original factory settings in this way all corrupted and outdated software will be removed. 

While doing the recovery there is an option to backup your personal files. If you have not previously done one now is a good time. 

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows )You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help alleviate difficulties: www.hp.com/contacthp/

The HP Cloud Recovery Tool allows you to download recovery software to a USB drive. You can use the downloaded recovery image file in order to install the Windows operating system. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Echo-Lake, 
In the words of a "very stable genius" who "has a very good you know what",  a complete factory reset "Sounds interesting. I think it's a great thing to look at..."

YES I am being sarcastic.

Let's focus on the "cost" involved - probably around 3 days of back-up, reset, download, update, update, update.

Now for the benefits - in the initial phase, the machine will be in an out-of-date state - no custom settings, no updated software, no personal files until restore is complete, but I will have a touchscreen (or at least I MIGHT have a touchscreen that functions).  All will appear super... until the computer catches up with 3 years of Windows Updates and then Microsoft Windows Update 1903 will reset everything again AND the touchscreen will cease to function again.

In other words HP must be populated with very stable geniuses who believe that it is OK to waste everyone's time, effort and disrupt their business and personal lives as they waste hours and hours (for me I've already spent at least 4 hours running different HP trouble-shooters, searching for options and testing disabling and re-installing drivers).

Please don't suggest that HP customers who expect a Touchscreen to function trash their machines back to an out-of-date state and then waste hours rebuilding the data and software set-ups because you and Microsoft and presumably Intel cannot get their act together.  Your responses are begging for a class action lawsuit AND prosecution against UK Trading Standards Laws about "fit for purpose" equipment.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.