Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 34-A010
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm trying to connect my wife's work laptop, which is a Dell, to our HP AIO HDMI-IN port and it does not detect a source at this port. Her laptop has a USB-C to HDMI out connection, which works fine with monitors and TVs. The HP AIO also detects a Roku and Fire stick in the HDMI-IN port, but for some reason it doesn't detect the laptop. Is there extra hardware required?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Joshk86

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. HP ENVY Curved 34-a010 All-in-One Desktop PC has a HDMI-in port.

USB Type-C video modes (Alternate mode): USB Type-C ports support adapters that can output different types of video such as HDMI, VGA, and DisplayPort, all from one USB Type-C port on your computer or device.

In some cases, this can be due to a limitation of the hardware. Alt Modes are used to transmit native HDMI or DisplayPort signals over a USB-C cable, and allow for it to be directly connected to a display. However, to enable this feature, the computer must have the appropriate hardware. Some HP Envy systems only support the DisplayPort alt mode, and must be used with DisplayPort displays, or adapted to the proper format.

USB-C Video Adapters:

USB-C to DisplayPort Cable

USB-C to HDMI Cable

USB-C to VGA Cable

DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

In other cases, it appears that the USB-C port is not capable of video output at all. This may be due to hardware issues or may be caused by a driver or firmware incompatibility.

HP does guarantee that any USB-C port advertised as "Thunderbolt 3" compatible will support standard Alt Modes, and can be adapted directly to HDMI or DisplayPort.

If your USB-C port doesn't appear capable of outputting video, you're not out of luck! You can still use an active USB to video adapter.

USB Video Adapters:

USB 2.0 to VGA Video Adapter

USB 2.0 to HDMI Video Adapter

USB 3.0 to DisplayPort 4K Video Adapter

All USB Video Adapters

For more info, refer to this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @Joshk86

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you. HP ENVY Curved 34-a010 All-in-One Desktop PC has a HDMI-in port.

USB Type-C video modes (Alternate mode): USB Type-C ports support adapters that can output different types of video such as HDMI, VGA, and DisplayPort, all from one USB Type-C port on your computer or device.

In some cases, this can be due to a limitation of the hardware. Alt Modes are used to transmit native HDMI or DisplayPort signals over a USB-C cable, and allow for it to be directly connected to a display. However, to enable this feature, the computer must have the appropriate hardware. Some HP Envy systems only support the DisplayPort alt mode, and must be used with DisplayPort displays, or adapted to the proper format.

USB-C Video Adapters:

USB-C to DisplayPort Cable

USB-C to HDMI Cable

USB-C to VGA Cable

DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

In other cases, it appears that the USB-C port is not capable of video output at all. This may be due to hardware issues or may be caused by a driver or firmware incompatibility.

HP does guarantee that any USB-C port advertised as "Thunderbolt 3" compatible will support standard Alt Modes, and can be adapted directly to HDMI or DisplayPort.

If your USB-C port doesn't appear capable of outputting video, you're not out of luck! You can still use an active USB to video adapter.

USB Video Adapters:

USB 2.0 to VGA Video Adapter

USB 2.0 to HDMI Video Adapter

USB 3.0 to DisplayPort 4K Video Adapter

All USB Video Adapters

For more info, refer to this document.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.