Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavillion HPE 1214
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

hello,

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card to a GeForce rtx 2060 Super.

Is this card compatible with my desktop?

Second question is that I'm also updating the processor to the AMD FX 8150.  Do I need to do anything special during these swaps?

Thank you for any help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello.
It is recommended to update the bios and remember that your computer has a PCI Express 2.0 slot ,so I would recommend that you install a GeForce GTX 980 Ti or GTX 780 Ti.

It is also necessary that after installing a graphics card, you install the appropriate driver for it.

I am proudly Mexican, a Computer Systems Engineer and a community volunteer.
If you found the answer helpful and/or you want to say “thanks”? Click the “ Yes ” box below Did I help solve the problem? don´t forget to click “ Accept as a solution” , someone who has the same query may find this solution and be helped by it.

HP Recommended

@CreatureSketch , welcome to the forum.

The first thing that you should do is check to see if you have UEFI in your motherboard:  https://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-uefi-instead-of-the-bios/

You can find this information in System Information in the section called "BIOS Mode".

HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  The newer cards like you want to install require UEFI in the motherboard.  Also, you should assure that the card you choose will operate with your 300W power supply unit (PSU).

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article to help you with choosing a video card:  https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

@old_geekster 

While the FX 8150 cpu is OK, the GPU is not.  The HPE 8-1214 is circa 11-Jan-2012, It is not UEFI.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.